public inbox for cygwin@cygwin.com
From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru>
To: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: How to handle length limit of PATH environment variable
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 00:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

> Andrey Repin writes:
>> P.P.S.
>> Partial solution could be a wrapper that reduce PATH length by dropping
>> nonessential/duplicate/Win-specific paths before invoking Cygwin terminal.
>> I have such a wrapper for my own reasons.

> You don't need one if your login shell is a POSIX shell and you don't
> use Windows applications if you have set a system or user variable
> CYGWIN_NOWINPATH to a non-empty value.

If-if-if.
What if I explicitly do not want to do that?
It reduces interoperability to miniscule levels.

> It's usually way easier to add to a clean path than removing cruft and I
> generally lean into the direction of using wrapper scripts for Windows
> applications that I need to use from Cygwin since quite often some other
> things need attention aside from PATH.

For me, it's easier to wrap Cygwin apps, since I have sane wrapping material
(and many Cygwin tools not requiring any wrapping to begin with).

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...