* Re: Installing Cygwin with a USB thumb drive
@ 2008-05-12 13:06 Kevin Hilton
From: Kevin Hilton @ 2008-05-12 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I used to run a portable version of cygwin from my usb drive -- and I
confirm that it works.  I never tried to use it on a system that
already had cygwin installed.  I used these instructions although the
look like they haven't been updated since Feb 2005:

http://www.dam.brown.edu/people/sezer/software/cygwin/

--
Kevin Hilton

* RE: Installing Cygwin with a USB thumb drive
@ 2008-05-12 15:35 ` Stepp, Charles
From: Stepp, Charles @ 2008-05-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam McCarthy, cygwin

One recommendation I have is to NOT run if from a flash drive if there
is a hard drive install...it can fiddle with stuff that will make the
hard drive installed not be correct.

Charles Stepp
Meskimen's Law:
There's never time to do it rite, but there's always time to do it over.

From: Adam McCarthy @ 2008-05-10 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> did you see the FAQ
>
>  2.20. How can I make my own portable Cygwin on CD?
>  (http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cd)
>
> and the recent threads on
>
>  "Install cygwin in Win2K as nonadmin from CD make from WinXP"
>  "How to run Cygwin from USB stick without admin access"
I did not see it on the FAQ, I know I should of looked but I didn't
think they would have an official answer, but I will defiantly look in
to it.

Thanks Again - Adam McCarthy

* Re: Installing Cygwin with a USB thumb drive
@ 2008-05-10 11:50 ` Martin Fischer
From: Martin Fischer @ 2008-05-10 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  > Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 19:38:21 -0400
  >
  > I really enjoy Cygwin and would love to have a portable copy on a
  > thumb drive. I use Cygwin all the time, and obviously I can't install
  > it on every computer I go on, especially since many are not mine.
  >
  > I saw many instructions on the web for doing it, but I wanted to see
  > if their were instructions that were "recommended", I know that likely
  > there will not be an official but I figured at least if it works.
  >
  > Is it fairly easy to install it on a thumb drive? I'm not worried if
  > it's hard or command line, because I've install Gentoo Linux before
  > and have much experience with command line, I just don't want it to
  > screw up current Cygwins on my machines. Most PCs I use it on, will
  > not have Cygwin, but perhaps I need to do something on a PC that
  > already has Cygwin, I don't want it to screw up the local Cygwin.
  >
  > Thanks Again
  >
  > Adam McCarthy

Hi,

did you see the FAQ

  2.20. How can I make my own portable Cygwin on CD?
  (http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cd)

and the recent threads on

  "Install cygwin in Win2K as nonadmin from CD make from WinXP"
  "How to run Cygwin from USB stick without admin access"

?

Cheers

Martin
--
parozusa at web dot de

* Installing Cygwin with a USB thumb drive
@ 2008-05-10  2:58 Adam McCarthy