* RE: Newer gcc2 snapshot with b18 CDK anybody?
@ 1997-10-22 23:18 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-10-22 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Mumit Khan'

Mumit Khan wrote:
> Every so often I feel the urge to try a newer gcc (either fsf or egcs)
> snapshots with b18 CDK and so far failed miserably. After changing the
> appropriate entries in cygwin.din (to account for different exception
> handling etc), I've actually gotten the whole CDK to build every time,
> but get tons of linker warnings about mismatched sizes of vtable sections
> when building new-cygwin.dll. This has something to do with the new
> UNIQUE_SECTION and \.linkonce directive used for the PE format.
>
> Anybody else trying this? If so, do I need a newer gas/ld than that
> supplied with b18?

I tried this without any success :-( The same linker errors.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Newer gcc2 snapshot with b18 CDK anybody?
@ 1997-10-23  8:32 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1997-10-23  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin; +Cc: gnu-win32

Sergey Okhapkin <sos@prospect.com.ru> writes:

> I tried this without any success :-( The same linker errors.

Looks like if I dump the new ASM_OUTPUT_SCTION_NAME and use the old one
that used to work (simple change in i386/cygwin32.h), then everything
builds without a complaint. This is true for both ss-971021 (FSF snapshot)
and egcs-971017. The problem is now is that the new executable refuse to
even start up, giving an error message like the following:

   "Not enough memory to run CYGWIN.DLL. Close some programs etc etc."

Any ideas?

btw, do you know why cygwin.dll needs to export the libgcc functions
(eg., the ones from new.o, tinfo.o, exception.o etc)? Those are quite
a bit different in the new snapshots.

Regards,
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
-

* Re: Newer gcc2 snapshot with b18 CDK anybody?
@ 1997-10-24 12:33   ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-10-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: sos, gnu-win32

Mumit Khan wrote:
[...]
> btw, do you know why cygwin.dll needs to export the libgcc functions
> (eg., the ones from new.o, tinfo.o, exception.o etc)? Those are quite
> a bit different in the new snapshots.

Cygwin.dll should not be exporting the libgcc functions.  I am in the midst
of testing interface revisions to the cygwin.dll which remove libgcc
exports and clean up other bits as well.  I will be changing the name
of the cygwin.dll for the next major release because the new one will
not be compatible with previously built executables.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* Newer gcc2 snapshot with b18 CDK anybody?
@ 1997-10-22  9:21 Mumit Khan