* Re: drag/drop args (was Re: Shell-Here Explorer)
@ 1997-12-04 13:02 Lincoln Baxter
From: Lincoln Baxter @ 1997-12-04 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eckert; +Cc: Earnie_Boyd, Eckert, Gnu-Win32

From: Lincoln Baxter on 12/04/97 01:39 PM

>>> I've been using perl for quite some time from a CMD script, but if
I call it from BASH
it can't find any of the files!

Not true  Look at the bashrc file I sent you! (and attached again)
I use perl ALL THE TIME. (from bash) on NT

Do you have the PERL5LIB and other environment vars set?

********* Do you have #!perl at the top of all your
scripts?*****************
********* Are you calling the script with a pathname the INCLUDES the
.pl extenstion ? ***********

BASH does not use the the PATHEXT winNT EV... (it would be nice if it
did) but what the hell

>>>The pathnames used by BASH cannot be understood by perl...

If you are talking about the virtual mount paths OF COURSE... these
are stored in the registry
under a cynwyn key.  No other tools know about them.

If you are talk about the symlinks... OF COURSE... it would have been
nice of WinNT has supported these,
(They are JUST like unix symlinks in their contents)... bash
understands them... it is too bad M$ didn't
put this in.

If you look at the .bashrc file you will notice that I create an
environment var (EV) CDISK with
represents the current disk that the virtual mount represents.  When I
use paths as arguements to
winNT programs I use the $CDISK EV.   Set the SetLocation and GoTo
functions in the bashrc file I sent you.

I strongly urge you to understand this .bashrc file... I spend ALOT of
time on it... still am, it makes bash VERY usable in a NT environment

>>>so does that mean I have to get a new version of perl which was
compiled for use with gnu-win32

That is an interesting Idea... but it would be a generic unix port,
without support the WINNT stuff like OLE automatic etc that NT perl
does today.

What I'd like is:

for bash to understand how to convert ANSI terminal escape sequences
for bold and reverse video, to the NT output formats so that  scripts
that use these would work like they do on unix.

Also I'd also like, to know why it gets 'Out of queue slots!' messages
during rm -rf and it would be
nice to see the 'setgrent not implemented' messages go away...

Lincoln

(See attached file: lincoln.bashrc)
(See attached file: .bashrc)

* drag/drop args (was Re: Shell-Here Explorer)
@ 1997-12-04 13:02 ` SRE
From: SRE @ 1997-12-04 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: eckert, gnu-win32

At 05:56 AM 12/04/97 PST, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>BASH is command line only; just like MSDOS only a little smarter.

Right, but I've got lots of reasons to drag files into command line
applications. I do it with FTP, for instance, instead of "cd path"
and then "put file". I just type "put", and drag the file off
explorer. Dragging into a BASH window works also, it's just that
none of the tools know how to deal with the text that shows up on
the command line.

>The rest of the .exe's in the set are to be executed in a command shell.
>No GUI.

I don't really want a GUI shell. My drag/drop icons typically start either
a NT CMD script or a console application... neither of which know about
windows, but both of which need to be able to feed command line args into
a program or set of programs.

I'm just looking for a way to easily create arguments, rather than
typing them in by hand. It is "windows", after all, not "vt100".
One of the reasons I use my NT box more than my Sun and HP unix boxes
is precisely because I don't have to type filenames or set up lots of
clever aliases.

But what I'm hearing is that you can only use gnu-win32 tools in
isolation from other tools, right? For instance, I've been using perl
for quite some time from a CMD script, but if I call it from BASH
it can't find any of the files! The pathnames used by BASH cannot be
understood by perl... so does that mean I have to get a new version
of perl which was compiled for use with gnu-win32 ? Ugh.

SRE

mailto:eckert@netcom.com -or- mailto:list_owner@juno.com

"The only possible interpretation of any research whatever
  in the `social sciences' is: some do, some don't."
		-- Ernest Rutherford

-