* RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-25 17:18 Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1997-12-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Richard Henry Wood', 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com',
	'hgfernan@usp.br'

>> Please be warned that V is mainly a Unix GUI library; its
>> support to Windows 95/NT is still to be done.  People wanting to
> program for Win95/NT should take a look at wxWindows.
>> Maybe wxWindows should be added to Cygnus page.

THIS IS DEFINATELY INCORRECT !!!

V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.
The MS-Windows version comes with make files for common compilers such
as
Borland etc.
I have V version 1.16 working on both Windows 95 and X Windows (Linux)
on
a 486DX2/66.  I compiled the MS-Win version with CYGWIN32.  It runs
about
HALF the speed of the X Windows compiled version.  I believe the
performance
hit is the CYGWIN stuff.  I don't have any commercial compilers handy to
compile V with so I can't be absolutely sure, but since other non GUI
utilities such as "ls" are very slow I think I am right.

Brendan Simon
brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au

-

* RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-29 20:04 ` hgfernan
From: hgfernan @ 1997-12-29 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Dec 97 at 12:22,  Brendan Simon <BSimon@randata.com.au> wrote:

> >> Please be warned that V is mainly a Unix GUI library; its
> >> support to Windows 95/NT is still to be done.  People wanting to
> > program for Win95/NT should take a look at wxWindows.
> >> Maybe wxWindows should be added to Cygnus page.
> >
> THIS IS DEFINATELY INCORRECT !!!
>
> V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.

Hi, Brendan!

I'm sorry if i was incorrect.  I appreciate the V library and its
community, and don't want to be unfair with any of them.

Internet and computing in general changes very quickly, so it's very
easy to have information no longer current.

Maybe you can help enlighten me and this mailing list about V making
the necessary corrections to what i'm going to relate.

I first heard about V in the famous paper by Prof. Wampler, V's
creator, published in C/C++ Users Journal (Aug/96).  Prof. Wampler
related that he designed a multiplatform class library and was using
it to teach his students about object-oriented programming and
interface design.

I'm a C++ instructor and i'm constantly embarrassed by the "good" o-o
design principles followed in the construction of MFC.  So i was
very interested when i read Prof. Wampler's paper.  But prudence
advised me to take some time before jumping into V and preparing
classes to my students.  To that purpose i subscribed V mailing list
and read its messages for a while.

From what i could see, in that times (circa 1996) several people
were having problems with V's window implementation.  I'm not saying
that V didn't compile, but people related that in some cases V didn't
work correctly under Windows.

Then in several messages, experienced users advised beginners that
they should consider V a Unix-oriented class library.  This wasn't
emphatically contested then.

I thought that was still the case when i read V's page: they say
that Windows support is still missing.

Maybe that was just a misunderstood, but i'd like to ask your opinion
about it.

Thank you for the attention,
++Hilton

* Re: [VGUI] RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-30  5:58   ` msphil
From: msphil @ 1997-12-30  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Fernandes, Hilton" <hgfernan@usp.br> wrote:

> On 26 Dec 97 at 12:22,  Brendan Simon <BSimon@randata.com.au> wrote:
>
> > V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.
>
> From what i could see, in that times (circa 1996) several people
> were having problems with V's window implementation.  I'm not saying
> that V didn't compile, but people related that in some cases V didn't
> work correctly under Windows.

I've had better luck with V under Windows than V under RedHat 5.0 for some
odd reason (some of the built-in X dialogs, for instance, file selection,
misbehave).

The biggest drawback to V is that the widgets available are currently limited
(no multi-select comboboxes, no trees, and some limitations on creating lists
on the fly, IIRC), but for simpler programs, it's an excellent framework to
work with.

> I thought that was still the case when i read V's page: they say
> that Windows support is still missing.
>
> Maybe that was just a misunderstood, but i'd like to ask your opinion
> about it.

As of V 1.15 and 1.16, it works with both Win16 and Win32, at least with MS
Visual C++ (1.52 and 5.0, respectively), and I have compiled a program I
wrote with both (and, for that matter, Linux/X11).  V is slightly persnickety
on data alignment and pointer sizes in Win32, but the distribution comes with
project files for MSVC and Makefiles for Borland C++ (I don't know which
versions).

There have been consistent and reported problems mixing V with the Cygnus
windows stuff, though.  I don't have details, since I haven't tried it
myself.

--
Mike Phillips, msphil@widomaker.com
Home Page: http://www.widomaker.com/~msphil/

* Re: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
       [not found] <349FE59A.2098DF17@cyberramp.net>
@ 1997-12-23 15:07 ` hgfernan
From: hgfernan @ 1997-12-23 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henry Wood, gnu-win32; +Cc: hgfernan

On 23 Dec 97 at 10:23,  Richard Henry Wood <woodwrk@cyberramp.net>
wrote:

> Date:          Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:23:54 -0600
> From:          Richard Henry Wood <woodwrk@cyberramp.net>
> To:            hgfernan@usp.br
> Subject:       Re: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?

> Hilton,
>
> If the address you give is a discussion group, could you please tell me
> how one subscribes to it?
>
> Thanks,
> -dick

Hi!

Sorry for the incomplete information.  I'm quite busy lately.

The home of V is
	http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wampler/vgui/vgui.html

Here is more info about V discussion lists got from
	http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wampler/vgui/vmaillist.html

Please be warned that V is mainly a Unix GUI library; its
support to Windows 95/NT is still to be done.  People wanting to
program for Win95/NT should take a look at wxWindows, at
	http://web.ukonline.co.uk/julian.smart/wxwin/

Maybe wxWindows should be added to Cygnus page.

HTH
++Hilton

your e-mail address in the body.

There is also a general mailing list served by a standard list server.
This list is used by the V community for help, questions, etc. To add
yourself to the general V mail list, send mail to
vgui-discuss-request@ringtail.hna.com.au with subscribe vgui-discuss
as the body of the message. After you subscribe, you can then post
contributions to the list by e-mailing to
vgui-discuss@ringtail.hna.com.au.

* Re: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-22 18:59 ` hgfernan
From: hgfernan @ 1997-12-22 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Miller, gnu-win32; +Cc: Fernandes, Hilton

On 18 Dec 97 at 13:24,  Rick Miller <rdmiller@execpc.com> wrote:

> From:          "Rick Miller" <rdmiller@execpc.com>
> To:            <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
> Subject:       Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
> Date:          Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:24:26 -0600

> Hi all!
>
> After taking the bait in the gnu-win32 FAQ, "What is V?" I went out and got
> the sources and tried to take the given advice for compiling...   Problem
> is, there are at least FOUR sets of such advice that I know of and at least
> two of them didn't work.

> The default Config.mk tells me to use ARCH=intel, there's one in
> ftp://ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/wampler/config/gnuwin32.make that tells me to use
> ARCH=gnu-win32... then there's other stuff in the "v/contrib/gnuwin32.tar"
> file in the source code...

Hi!

You can get V specific information writing to
	vgui-discuss@ringtail.hna.com.au

which is obviously a V discussion list.

Regards,
++Hilton

* RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-18 16:04 dahms
From: dahms @ 1997-12-18 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rdmiller; +Cc: gnu-win32, dahms

Hi Rick, you wrote:

:   o Which source code should I use?  "v-1.16.tar.gz" contains all the
: nicely-cased UNIXy filenames but "vwin116.zip" has them mostly in upper
: case.  GNU-make is being picky about case, so the Makefile has to match it
: as far as I know.

Try using an unzipper which allows to force all lowercase names.

Bye, Heribert (dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de)
-

* Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-18 11:21 Rick Miller
From: Rick Miller @ 1997-12-18 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi all!

After taking the bait in the gnu-win32 FAQ, "What is V?" I went out and got
the sources and tried to take the given advice for compiling...   Problem
is, there are at least FOUR sets of such advice that I know of and at least
two of them didn't work.

Would someone be kind enough to give specific instructions for building
V-1.16 under gnuwin32-b18?

Some questions that I didn't see addressed at all (they may not be
important):

  o When building V, does it matter whether I've mounted my file system
mixed?

  o Which source code should I use?  "v-1.16.tar.gz" contains all the
nicely-cased UNIXy filenames but "vwin116.zip" has them mostly in upper
case.  GNU-make is being picky about case, so the Makefile has to match it
as far as I know.

  o Are these instructions already posted somewhere?  WORKING ones?

The default Config.mk tells me to use ARCH=intel, there's one in
ftp://ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/wampler/config/gnuwin32.make that tells me to use
ARCH=gnu-win32... then there's other stuff in the "v/contrib/gnuwin32.tar"
file in the source code...

I'm so confused!  Does anyone have instructions I can use?  I'd hate to have
to try all the combinations of the different ones I've already found, it
would take months.

Rick Miller
http://www.execpc.com/~rdmiller/

-