* RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-25 17:18 Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1997-12-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Richard Henry Wood', 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com',
	'hgfernan@usp.br'

>> Please be warned that V is mainly a Unix GUI library; its
>> support to Windows 95/NT is still to be done.  People wanting to
> program for Win95/NT should take a look at wxWindows.
>> Maybe wxWindows should be added to Cygnus page.

THIS IS DEFINATELY INCORRECT !!!

V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.
The MS-Windows version comes with make files for common compilers such
as
Borland etc.
I have V version 1.16 working on both Windows 95 and X Windows (Linux)
on
a 486DX2/66.  I compiled the MS-Win version with CYGWIN32.  It runs
about
HALF the speed of the X Windows compiled version.  I believe the
performance
hit is the CYGWIN stuff.  I don't have any commercial compilers handy to
compile V with so I can't be absolutely sure, but since other non GUI
utilities such as "ls" are very slow I think I am right.

Brendan Simon
brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au

-

[parent not found: <349FE59A.2098DF17@cyberramp.net>]
* RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-18 16:04 dahms
From: dahms @ 1997-12-18 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rdmiller; +Cc: gnu-win32, dahms

Hi Rick, you wrote:

:   o Which source code should I use?  "v-1.16.tar.gz" contains all the
: nicely-cased UNIXy filenames but "vwin116.zip" has them mostly in upper
: case.  GNU-make is being picky about case, so the Makefile has to match it
: as far as I know.

Try using an unzipper which allows to force all lowercase names.

Bye, Heribert (dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de)
-

* Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
@ 1997-12-18 11:21 Rick Miller
From: Rick Miller @ 1997-12-18 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi all!

After taking the bait in the gnu-win32 FAQ, "What is V?" I went out and got
the sources and tried to take the given advice for compiling...   Problem
is, there are at least FOUR sets of such advice that I know of and at least
two of them didn't work.

Would someone be kind enough to give specific instructions for building
V-1.16 under gnuwin32-b18?

Some questions that I didn't see addressed at all (they may not be
important):

  o When building V, does it matter whether I've mounted my file system
mixed?

  o Which source code should I use?  "v-1.16.tar.gz" contains all the
nicely-cased UNIXy filenames but "vwin116.zip" has them mostly in upper
case.  GNU-make is being picky about case, so the Makefile has to match it
as far as I know.

  o Are these instructions already posted somewhere?  WORKING ones?

The default Config.mk tells me to use ARCH=intel, there's one in
ftp://ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/wampler/config/gnuwin32.make that tells me to use
ARCH=gnu-win32... then there's other stuff in the "v/contrib/gnuwin32.tar"
file in the source code...

I'm so confused!  Does anyone have instructions I can use?  I'd hate to have
to try all the combinations of the different ones I've already found, it
would take months.

Rick Miller
http://www.execpc.com/~rdmiller/

-