* Re: LS_COLORS operational? and info info
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Dave Finnegan
From: Dave Finnegan @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln, W. Terry; +Cc: Michael Hirmke, 'gnu-win32 mail list'

I'd like to enable colors ... could you provide the "colors.nt" file, please?

Thanks,

  Dave

"Lincoln, W. Terry" wrote:

> Michael Hirmke wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > [...]
> > >prompt> eval 'dircolors colors.nt'
> > >LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>';
> > >export LS_COLORS
> > >
> > >But LS_COLORS is not actually set.  If I manually set the variable
> myself
> > >(export LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>') then it works...
> >
> > You have to source the script, so that the env var is added to your
> > actual shell. You are trying to change the environment of the calling
> > shell, which isn't possible in a Unix like environment.
> > So write the commands to .bashrc or some other script

> >-----------------------------
> >-----------------------------
> >
> > and then call it with either
> >
> > . ./.bashrc
> >
> > or
> >
> > source ./.bashrc
>
> This actually works quite fine on my Cygwin B20.1 NT-4.0 machine:
> $ eval `(dircolors colors.nt)`
> I think the parens are needed to support the semi-colons generated by the
> program.
>

> > Bye.
> > Michael.
>
> Hope it works for you...
>
>     __
>    |  |    /===============================
>  __|  |__   / For GOD so loved the world that He gave
> |        |  /  His only son, that whosoever believeth on
> |__    __|      /   Him should not perish but have everlasting
>    |  |     /    life.  (John 3:16)
>    |  |    /     mailto:WTerryLincoln@engineer.com
>    |  |   /    May His peace be found in you,
>    |  |  /     W. Terry Lincoln
>  /~~~~~~\ /      (senior engineer - Ultimate Technology Corporation)
> http://www.AngelFire.com/ny/TerryLincoln
> http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Concourse/7326
>
> -

-

* Re: LS_COLORS operational? and info info
@ 1999-01-31 23:52   ` Mike Fabian
From: Mike Fabian @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave; +Cc: gnu-win32

Dave Finnegan <dave@syncinc.com> wrote:

>   I'd like to enable colors ... could you provide the "colors.nt"
>   file, please?

You can create a sample one yourself by typing:

    dircolors --print-database > colors.nt

Then edit this colors.nt according to your taste. And probably you
have to add a line "TERM cygwin" like this:

# Below, there should be one TERM entry for each termtype that is colorizable
TERM cygwin
TERM linux
TERM console
TERM con132x25

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   (mike.fabian@it-mannesmann.de)
Mannesmann Datenverarbeitung

-

* RE: LS_COLORS operational? and info info
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 Lincoln, W. Terry
From: Lincoln, W. Terry @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke; +Cc: 'gnu-win32 mail list'

Michael Hirmke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [...]
> >prompt> eval 'dircolors colors.nt'
> >LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>';
> >export LS_COLORS
> >
> >But LS_COLORS is not actually set.  If I manually set the variable
myself
> >(export LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>') then it works...
>
> You have to source the script, so that the env var is added to your
> actual shell. You are trying to change the environment of the calling
> shell, which isn't possible in a Unix like environment.
> So write the commands to .bashrc or some other script

>-----------------------------
>-----------------------------
>
> and then call it with either
>
> . ./.bashrc
>
> or
>
> source ./.bashrc

This actually works quite fine on my Cygwin B20.1 NT-4.0 machine:
$ eval `(dircolors colors.nt)`
I think the parens are needed to support the semi-colons generated by the
program.

> Bye.
> Michael.

Hope it works for you...

    __

From: Lincoln, W. Terry @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Finnegan; +Cc: 'gnu-win32 mail list'

Hi,

To get a colors.nt files just do this:
1. cd
2. dircolors -p > colors.nt
3. vim colors.nt
# edit the file (use another editor if you don't have vim)
4. eval `(dircolors colors.nt)`

The file 'colors.nt' can be any file you want in your home directory.

"Lincoln, W. Terry" wrote:

> Michael Hirmke wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > [...]
> > >prompt> eval 'dircolors colors.nt'
> > >LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>';
> > >export LS_COLORS
> > >
> > >But LS_COLORS is not actually set.  If I manually set the variable
> myself
> > >(export LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>') then it works...
> >
> > You have to source the script, so that the env var is added to your
> > actual shell. You are trying to change the environment of the calling
> > shell, which isn't possible in a Unix like environment.
> > So write the commands to .bashrc or some other script

> >-----------------------------
> >-----------------------------
> >
> > and then call it with either
> >
> > . ./.bashrc
> >
> > or
> >
> > source ./.bashrc
>
> This actually works quite fine on my Cygwin B20.1 NT-4.0 machine:
> $ eval `(dircolors colors.nt)`
> I think the parens are needed to support the semi-colons generated by
the
> program.
>

> > Bye.
> > Michael.