From: Dan Regan <Dan_Regan@symantec.com>
To: Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de>,
	"cygwin@cygwin.com"	<cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: sshd service will not start on Windows 8 (Enterprise) because the netlogon service isn't running
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Well, when I would attempt to start sshd, the netlogon service attempts to start, fails to start, and then I get the error:
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Strangely, the sshd service doesn't explicitly depend on Netlogon; its only listed dependency is "TCP/IP Protocol Driver".  But I have observed it attempting and failing to start in the event viewer every time I start sshd, and it has turned up in some google results:
http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Error-starting-sshd-quot-Win32-error-1069-quot-td36791.html
http://izadpanah.blogspot.com/2010/01/cygwin-sshd-service-not-starting-on.html

I did find a partial workaround, using steps mentioned here: http://izadpanah.blogspot.com/2010/01/cygwin-sshd-service-not-starting-on.html
If you change the startup type of netlogon from Manual to Automatic *and reboot*, then the SSHD service will start when the system boots.  However, the once booted, the netlogon service is not running, and attempts to start it will still fail.  This means that if you stop sshd, the only way to restart it is to reboot.

One of the links suggested adding netlogon as an explicit dependency, but when I tried this, sshd wouldn't start at all (even at boot time).

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide that would be helpful.

thanks
-dan