From: David Rothenberger <daveroth@acm.org>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: svn segfault when using svn+ssh schema
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 20:45:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 1/8/2017 6:12 AM, Sam Edge wrote:
> I've seen a number of 'svn segfault' threads on the mailing list archive
> but none of them seem to cover this specific failure mode. (Apologies if
> one of them does!)
>
> I'm getting segfaults from svn but only when using ssh as the schema.
> The following three commands are all accessing the same server, the name
> of which has been changed to protect the guilty.
>
> --------
> SamEdge@thor ~
> $ ssh cmserver.XXXXXX.com
> ( success ( 2 2 ( ) ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries
> commit-revprops depth log-revprops atomic-revprops partial-replay
> inherited-props ephemeral-txnprops file-revs-reverse ) ) )
> SamEdge@thor ~
> $ svn ls svn+ssh://cmserver.XXXXXX.com/edl/
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> SamEdge@thor ~
> $ svn ls https://cmserver.XXXXXX.com/edl/
> branches/
> tags/
> trunk/
>
> SamEdge@thor ~
> $
> --------
>
> Access using TortoiseSVN using either schema is working fine, as is
> access from Linux svn.
>
> The server is Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS with package subversion
> 1.8.8-1ubuntu3.2, openssh-server 1:6.6p1-2ubuntu2.8 and openssl
> 1.0.1f-1ubuntu2.21.
>
> The secure shell access is using public key authentication.
>
> I've attached cygcheck & the segfault stackdump.
>
> I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

[Cygwin subversion maintainer here.]

Sorry, I have no further ideas. svn+ssh is working fine for me here
using both Cygwin and Debian as the server. Debian is running Subversion
1.8.10.

I personally lack the technical skills to decode the stack trace. Maybe
someone else can. Alternatively, you could theoretically download the
subversion debug package and reproduce the error in gdb to get a
backtrace. Again, my C/gdb skills are rusty, so I can't provide any
details about how to do that.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
                 -- Voltaire