Jon, Indeed, -dumbSched causes this problem to disappear. I have attached another cygcheck.out on the off chance that it will be helpful. When I wrote this file, all my Cygwin packages were up to date, and git-cola was executing OK (no hangs). -- D.A. On 1/16/2017 6:09 AM, Jon Turney wrote: > On 14/01/2017 01:38, David Arnstein wrote: >> My cygwin installation can display simple X11 clients such as xterm. A >> complex client such as git-cola, launched from a remote RedHat Linux >> machine, will cause all X11 windows under cygwin to become unresponsive. >> Windows Task Manager says "not responding." >> >> This problem occurs with recent releases of Cygwin/X11. The attached >> cygcheck.out indicates the last X11 version that works well: 1.18-4.1. >> All other cygwin packages are up to date. > > Thanks for reporting this problem. > > Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce it. > > However, I suspect this may be caused by switching to the smart > scheduler by default in xorg-server 1.19.0-1. > > So, the first thing I'd suggest you try is adding -dumbSched to the X > server options to see if this makes a difference (e.g. 'startxwin -- > -dumbSched'