From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: FIFO issues
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:54:11 -0400	[thread overview]

On 9/19/2022 6:05 PM, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:
>
>  > I did an internet search on this issue and found the following, which
> describes the
>
>  > situation we're discussing:
>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14594508/fifo-pipe-is-always-readable-in-select
>
>  > According to that post, select on Linux will wait for a writer the first time
> it's
>
>  > called to check read readiness for a FIFO opened for reading with O_NONBLOCK
> set.
>
>  > But if the writer then closes the FIFO, subsequent calls to select will
> always find
>
>  > the FIFO read ready (and read will return 0). This behavior is not
> documented, as far as
>
>  > I can tell, and in fact it contradicts the existing documentation (both POSIX
> and Linux).
>
>  > So I don't think someone trying to write a portable program should rely on it.
>

> Please, note that this code was working on cygwin the way it works on linux
> until some
>
> time ago, maybe last year, I am not sure. I also found this stackoverflow
> discussion:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28851639/select-with-non-blocking-reads
>
> I tried the code also on Solaris and NetBSD and it works exactly as on linux, so
> I think
>
> it is portable.

Then I guess I'm wrong.  I'm really puzzled, because it seems that none of these
platforms agree with POSIX, which says the following in its 'read' documentation:

     When attempting to read from an empty pipe or FIFO:

         If no process has the pipe open for writing, read() shall return 0 to
         indicate end-of-file.

It seems that there's an exception: If no process has ever had the FIFO open for
writing since it was opened for reading, then the FIFO is not considered to be
at end-of-file.

I'll look into fixing this.  But I'd be more confident about it if I could find
some documentation of the existing behavior.

Ken