* CYGWIN UNIX FILE PATH LEAVES FILES UNDELETABLE THROUGH WIN7
@ 2010-08-12 16:53 Richard Stern
From: Richard Stern @ 2010-08-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CYGWIN ADMIN

I'm a new user and just recently tried to install
cygwin 1.7.5, after installing JAVA NetBeans.

I wanted to install the C++ packages along with
Python. Below is a sample of what occurred. copied
from
the output of... cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
                    -----------------------------
2010/08/08 06:44:15 running:
D:\Cplus\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
/etc/postinstall/gcc4-core.sh
2010/08/08 06:44:19 abnormal exit: exit code=126
2010/08/08 06:48:34 running:
D:\Cplus\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
/etc/postinstall/gtk2.0.sh
2010/08/08 06:48:44 abnormal exit: exit code=127
2010/08/08 07:11:53 running:
D:\Cplus\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh
2010/08/08 07:40:39 can't run
/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh: No such file
2010/08/08 07:41:00 running:
D:\Cplus\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
/etc/postinstall/gcc4-core.sh
2010/08/08 07:41:03 abnormal exit: exit code=126
2010/08/08 07:41:03 running:
D:\Cplus\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
/etc/postinstall/gtk2.0.sh
2010/08/08 07:41:12 abnormal exit: exit code=127
2010/08/08 07:41:12 Changing gid to Administrators
2010/08/08 08:25:10 note: Installation Complete
2010/08/08 08:25:10 Ending cygwin install
                -----------------------------
I had uninstalled the total cygwin package by
deleting all the directories made for this software,
because cygwin did not show in the list of installed
programs
in the "Control Panel" utility "Programs & Features"
in Windows 7 OS. After the deletions, only one
directory and file were unable to be deleted,
the file named " nul " in the directory " dev ". A
popup window notified me of the problem but was not
specific.
After much brainstorming, I booted up into a LINUX
environment, located the /my Cplus dir/dev/nul
directory
and file. Using the file manager, I was able to
delete the items.

I have read & browsed much of the documentation, at
the moment, that's possible and tried to be sure
this issue hasn't been covered.
I believe that is the case. I'm a retired NASA
contractor. UNIX System Administrator for Real-Time
Systems being one of my task, I hope
this has given me enough knowledge to know when I
need further assistance.

I tried to subscribe to the cygwin.com mailing list.
But the email returned with an unknown address
error. I have recheck this address
cygwin-subscribe@cygwin.com and still returns a
failure notice.

Thank You for your time for reading this and any
assistance you may offer.

                                            Richard
Stern

* Re: CYGWIN UNIX FILE PATH LEAVES FILES UNDELETABLE THROUGH WIN7
@ 2010-08-12 17:37 ` DePriest, Jason R.
       [not found]   ` <SNT127-DS105DF4E0ACCC1CB39109F681970@phx.gbl>
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2010-08-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, nw3n

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Richard Stern <> wrote:
> I had uninstalled the total cygwin package by deleting all the directories
> made for this software, because cygwin did not show in the list of installed
> programs
> in the "Control Panel" utility "Programs & Features" in Windows 7 OS. After
> the deletions, only one directory and file were unable to be deleted,
> the file named " nul " in the directory " dev ". A popup window notified me
> of the problem but was not specific.
> After much brainstorming, I booted up into a LINUX environment, located the
> /my Cplus dir/dev/nul directory
> and file. Using the file manager, I was able to delete the items.
>
> I have read & browsed much of the documentation, at the moment, that's
> possible and tried to be sure this issue hasn't been covered.
> I believe that is the case. I'm a retired NASA contractor. UNIX System
> Administrator for Real-Time Systems being one of my task, I hope
> this has given me enough knowledge to know when I need further assistance.
>
> I tried to subscribe to the cygwin.com mailing list. But the email returned
> with an unknown address error. I have recheck this address
> cygwin-subscribe@cygwin.com and still returns a failure notice.
>
> Thank You for your time for reading this and any assistance you may offer.
>
>                   Richard Stern

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all < best
steps to follow to completely remove it

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.dos-filenames <
brief mention of using special file names like AUX, COM, etc

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-dosdevices
< another mention of those special file names

@ 2010-08-12 21:49     ` DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2010-08-12 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The directory D:\Cplus I created during setup. the \dev\ directory was
> created by the installation along with the file named nul. Is it possible
> that setup misnamed
> this file nul when it should have reflected the POSIX \dev\null WIN32
> substitute?
>
> Also, in my last email I listed some errors which were cut form your reply,
> concerning  "abnormal exit: exit code=126" & "abnormal exit: exit code=127"
> What are these errors? I wouldn't bother you with this but I found no
> definitive answers while searching through the cygwin mail archives.
>
> In addition I need to resolve the problem I'm having with subscribing to the
> email message board. Is the following address correct?
> cygwin-subscribe@cygwin.com
>
> Regards... Richard

See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-04/msg01047.html for
suggestions on why you are getting the abnormal exit codes.  Also,
this http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acygwin.com%20inurl%3Aml%2F%20abnormal%20exit

I don't know why are having problems subscribing to the list.

I don't know why you had the problem with /dev/nul

-Jason

* Re: CYGWIN UNIX FILE PATH LEAVES FILES UNDELETABLE THROUGH WIN7
@ 2010-08-12 23:11       ` Dave Cottlehuber
From: Dave Cottlehuber @ 2010-08-12 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> After the deletions, only one directory and file were unable to be deleted,
> the file named " nul " in the directory " dev ".

This is well known (if you're an old timer - think cp/m, then DOS)  as
it's a reserved word. CON: NUL: LPT!: are all examples of this. The
solution is easy:

:: for files
del \\.\c:\cygwin\dev\nul
:: for dirs