* Re: Request for a thicker line cursor in Mintty
@ 2010-08-01 14:03 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-08-01 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1 August 2010 09:43, Andy Koppe wrote:

> Turns out there's a global Windows setting for the cursor width, at
> Control Panel -> Accessibility Options -> Display (that's where it is
> in XP anyway). Trouble is, mintty doesn't support it, but fixing that
> will address the issue without having to introduce a new option, so
> that's what I'll do.

Right.
NotePad takes account of this setting but WordPad does not.

Thank you for this work. Hope you have learnt something.

Do you want me to enter an enhancement issue in
http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues?

or do you consider it done?

Best regards

Jean Johner

* Re: Request for a thicker line cursor in Mintty
@ 2010-08-02 12:01 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-08-02 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1 August 2010 15:03, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:
> On 1 August 2010 09:43, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>
>> Turns out there's a global Windows setting for the cursor width, at
>> Control Panel -> Accessibility Options -> Display (that's where it is
>> in XP anyway). Trouble is, mintty doesn't support it, but fixing that
>> will address the issue without having to introduce a new option, so
>> that's what I'll do.
>
> Right.
> NotePad takes account of this setting but WordPad does not.

... except in the font setting boxes above the text area. Similarly in
Excel. Wouldn't happen in Cupertino. :)

> Do you want me to enter an enhancement issue in
> http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues?

Don't bother with this one, but in general, the tracker is the best
way to ensure I don't forget about an issue (and to avoid boring the
denizens of the Cygwin list with mintty-specific stuff).

Andy

* Re: Request for a thicker line cursor in Mintty
@ 2010-08-01  9:43   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-08-01  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Tech List

@ 2010-07-31 17:20 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-07-31 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Tech List

On 31 July 2010 15:24, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:
>>> I use Mintty with the following options:
>>> Background: white, Foreground: black, Text: Fixedsys 9 pts, Cursor:
>>> line.
>>>
>>> With such options, vim with default unix .vimrc colors looks great in
>>> insert mode. However the cursor appears to be a little too thin in my
>>> opinion (sometimes difficult to find on the screen).
>>
>> It's the standard Windows cursor, same as you get in any other Windows
>> application. Try the block or underscore cursors for something more
>> substantial.
>
> The line cursor is well adapted for insert mode (gvim switches from
> block to line cursor when insert mode is activated).

Btw, you can have a mode-dependent cursor in vim running in mintty as
well. See the TIPS section of 'man mintty' for details.

@ 2010-07-31 15:11 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-07-31 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: andy.koppe

On 29 July 2010 21:33, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> I use Mintty with the following options:
>> Background: white, Foreground: black, Text: Fixedsys 9 pts, Cursor:
>> line.
>>
>> With such options, vim with default unix .vimrc colors looks great in
>> insert mode. However the cursor appears to be a little too thin in my
>> opinion (sometimes difficult to find on the screen).
>
> It's the standard Windows cursor, same as you get in any other Windows
> application. Try the block or underscore cursors for something more
> substantial.
>
>> Could Andy envisage to give it some thickness
>
> Envisage? Yes. Implement? No, not unless there's substantial demand
for it.

The line cursor is well adapted for insert mode (gvim switches from
block to line cursor when insert mode is activated).
Indeed, the Mintty line cursor is also used by WordPad but Word uses a
thicker cursor (probably for the same reasons as mine).

Perhaps you could envisage proposing both.

Anyway, it is a detail.
Thank you again for this very nice piece of code.

Jean Johner

* Re: Request for a thicker line cursor in Mintty
@ 2010-07-29 21:21 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-07-29 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2010-07-29 20:38 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-07-29 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I use Mintty with the following options:
Background: white, Foreground: black, Text: Fixedsys 9 pts, Cursor:
line.

With such options, vim with default unix .vimrc colors looks great in
insert mode. However the cursor appears to be a little too thin in my
opinion (sometimes difficult to find on the screen).
Could Andy envisage to give it some thickness (take the cursor of gvim
in insert mode as an example).

Best regards,

Jean JOHNER