* Pining Cygwin in Windows 7?
@ 2011-02-27 23:52 Brenden Towey
From: Brenden Towey @ 2011-02-27 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I just installed Cygwin on my new system, which runs Windows 7.  There's
a feature in Win7 similar to QuickLinks that I've been using to "pin" my
applications to the task bar for a quick start.  I'd like to do the same
for Cygwin, but since it starts as batch file, all the "pin" function
does is give me a DOS prompt.

Has anyone encountered this before, and devised a fix for it?

I think I can just whip up a short C program to execute bash like the
batch file does, and then just pin that executable.  But does anyone
know of something better?

* Re: Pining Cygwin in Windows 7?
@ 2011-02-28  3:24 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-02-28  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/27/2011 1:38 PM, Brenden Towey wrote:
> I just installed Cygwin on my new system, which runs Windows 7.  There's
> a feature in Win7 similar to QuickLinks that I've been using to "pin" my
> applications to the task bar for a quick start.  I'd like to do the same
> for Cygwin, but since it starts as batch file, all the "pin" function
> does is give me a DOS prompt.

Try installing mintty, then launching
   C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -
(e.g. with the argument '-') as your "pin". (I don't know much about W7,
but at least you'd be starting an executable instead of a batch file).

--
Chuck

* Re: Pining Cygwin in Windows 7?
@ 2011-02-28  4:48   ` DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2011-02-28  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Charles Wilson

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Charles Wilson <> wrote:

> Try installing mintty, then launching
>   C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -
> (e.g. with the argument '-') as your "pin". (I don't know much about W7,
> but at least you'd be starting an executable instead of a batch file).
>
> --
> Chuck

You don't need to create any special shortcut to launch it.

Launching mintty from the shortcut that is added when you install it
and then pinning the resultant box to the task bar works for me on
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.

-Jason