* Cygwin extremely slow after updating from 1.5.1  to 1.7.5
@ 2010-07-12  1:32 Jet Thompson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jet Thompson @ 2010-07-12  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It is now taking over 30 seconds for bash to come up,
whereas in 1.5 it would take 1-2 seconds.

Doing an ls of my ~ directory takes 5 seconds.

Running a cucumber test takes 5-6 minutes.

Any idea what could be causing this?

At this point, I can not use Cygwin for development.
Not feasible to use such a slow environment.

Hope someone may have some good ideas.
I am using an older XP machine, but still it is
dual 2.8 Xeon processors, 800MHz bus, 7200rpm
sata hard drive with 8MB cache. It is painful
to see such dismal performance.

Cheers,

   Jet

* Re: Cygwin extremely slow after updating from 1.5.1 to 1.7.5
@ 2010-07-12  1:44 ` Huang Bambo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Huang Bambo @ 2010-07-12  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Use "strace ls" and "strace -t ls" and attach the output first.

@ 2010-07-12  3:56 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-07-12  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/11/2010 9:00 PM, Jet Thompson wrote:
> It is now taking over 30 seconds for bash to come up,
> whereas in 1.5 it would take 1-2 seconds.
>
> Doing an ls of my ~ directory takes 5 seconds.
>
> Running a cucumber test takes 5-6 minutes.
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?
>
> At this point, I can not use Cygwin for development.
> Not feasible to use such a slow environment.
>
> Hope someone may have some good ideas.
> I am using an older XP machine, but still it is
> dual 2.8 Xeon processors, 800MHz bus, 7200rpm
> sata hard drive with 8MB cache. It is painful
> to see such dismal performance.

This is typically the result of <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-07-12 15:45   ` Jet Thompson
From: Jet Thompson @ 2010-07-12 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Huang Bambo <bambo.huang <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Use "strace ls" and "strace -t ls" and attach the output first.

strace ls: http://pastie.org/1041010

strace -t ls: http://pastie.org/1041018

It is just on the first invocation ls is slow.
Bash starts up slow every time, and my Cucumber
test takes 6 minutes every time.

@ 2010-07-12 15:59   ` Jet Thompson
From: Jet Thompson @ 2010-07-12 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On 7/11/2010 9:00 PM, Jet Thompson wrote:
> > It is now taking over 30 seconds for bash to come up,
> > whereas in 1.5 it would take 1-2 seconds.

> This is typically the result of <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>.

Only program I had installed that was on the list was
SONIC DLA.

I removed this, but it had no effect.

@ 2010-07-12 16:15 ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2010-07-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 12.07.2010 03:00, schrieb Jet Thompson:
> It is now taking over 30 seconds for bash to come up,
> whereas in 1.5 it would take 1-2 seconds.
>
> Doing an ls of my ~ directory takes 5 seconds.
>
> Running a cucumber test takes 5-6 minutes.
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?

Virus, Spyware and similar scanners, and broken software.

> At this point, I can not use Cygwin for development.
> Not feasible to use such a slow environment.
>
> Hope someone may have some good ideas.
> I am using an older XP machine, but still it is
> dual 2.8 Xeon processors, 800MHz bus, 7200rpm
> sata hard drive with 8MB cache. It is painful
> to see such dismal performance.

ls isn't representative, as it uses stat() which is painfully slow on Cygwin.

If bash is slow to start, see if uninstalling bash-completion fixes it.
For me it helped quite a bit.

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Cygwin extremely slow after updating from 1.5.1  to 1.7.5
@ 2010-07-12 16:36   ` Jet Thompson
From: Jet Thompson @ 2010-07-12 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree <at> gmx.de> writes:

> If bash is slow to start, see if uninstalling bash-completion fixes it.
> For me it helped quite a bit.

Matthias,

I uninstalled bash-completion and it did indeed make a very substantial
improvement.

Thank you.

Jet

* Re: Cygwin extremely slow after updating from 1.5.1  to 1.7.5
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-12 23:15 ` Jet Thompson
From: Jet Thompson @ 2010-07-12 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jet Thompson <jet <at> whidbey.com> writes:

> It is now taking over 30 seconds for bash to come up,
> whereas in 1.5 it would take 1-2 seconds.

Above fixed by removing bash-completion

> Doing an ls of my ~ directory takes 5 seconds.

Above fixed by removing bash-completion

> Running a cucumber test takes 5-6 minutes.
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?

I have installed spork.

Time is now 45.2 seconds running Cucumber from
within e text editor.

Time is 32 seconds running Cucumber from the command
line (bash).

Is this the best I should expect from running Cucumber within
Cygwin, or is something still out of whack with my environment?

It seems that the people doing the same under Linux or on Mac
have times like 3-4 seconds.

I did check the list of programs that could be interfering with
Cygwin. Removed Sonic DLA, the only one I had installed that was
on the list. However, I did not notice any change. I am running
Kaspersky, but it was not on the list, and I did not notice any
difference when it was disabled.

Any ideas for improving performance deeply appreciated

@ 2010-07-13  5:54   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-07-13  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12 July 2010 23:48, Jet Thompson wrote:
>> Running a cucumber test takes 5-6 minutes.
>>
>> Any idea what could be causing this?
>
> I have installed spork.
>
> Time is now 45.2 seconds running Cucumber from
> within e text editor.
>
> Time is 32 seconds running Cucumber from the command
> line (bash).
>
> Is this the best I should expect from running Cucumber within
> Cygwin, or is something still out of whack with my environment?

"Spork"? "Cucumber"? Neither of those are either Cygwin packages or
widely known programs, so a bit of context would have been nice.
They're certainly not supported on this list.

Do they fork lots of processes? In that case, the answer might well be yes.

Otherwise, are any network drives involved in your setup? Those can be
rather slow with Cygwin.

Andy