* Altgr+space doesn't print the expected character when using bash and bépo keyboard layout
@ 2011-02-23 17:58 Thomas LIMIN
From: Thomas LIMIN @ 2011-02-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello

I'm using Cygwin on Windows Seven 64bit, with the bépo keyboard layout
(http://bepo.fr/wiki/Accueil  bépo is a keyboard layout optimized for
french users)

Using this layout, I can't write a '_' in bash.

bépo layout binds  '_' to the key sequence Ctrl+Alt+SPACE (or Altgr+SPACE).

All native windows applications understand this sequence, and print a '_'.

However, pressing Ctrl+Alt+SPACE (or Altgr+SPACE) when I'm at the bash
prompt doesn't print anything.

If I write directly to cat standard input (after typing 'cat' and
press return), then I get what looks like a space, but is a null
character (hexadecimal ascii code = 00)

With vi, in insertion mode, pressing Ctrl+Alt+SPACE (or Altgr+SPACE)
trigger this message: E29: No inserted text yet

However, other bépo bindings, including Altgr bindings,  works
seemlessly, and I can get all the characters, even no ascii and
accentuated characters.

It seems that the only key sequence encountering issue is
Ctrl+Alt+SPACE (or Altgr+SPACE).

Does cygwin or one of the underlying library handles this sequence in
a specific way?

Does someone has already encountered an issue with altgr+space binding
and know how to resolve it?

Best regards

Thomas LIMIN

* Re: Altgr+space doesn't print the expected character when using bash and bépo keyboard layout
@ 2011-06-24  7:02 ` menfin
From: menfin @ 2011-06-24  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm sure we are not a lot of user concerning by this bug so I just want to
confirm it. It's very painful.

Copy/paste also has an odd behaviour :
- when I switch to azerty to paste a string copied in notepad, underscores
are pasted.
- when I switch back to bépo to paste the same string, underscores are
replaced by null characters.

* Re: Altgr+space doesn't print the expected character when using bash and bépo keyboard layout
@ 2011-06-24  8:34   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-06-24  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 24 00:02, menfin wrote:

> I'm sure we are not a lot of user concerning by this bug so I just want to
> confirm it. It's very painful.
>
> Copy/paste also has an odd behaviour :
> - when I switch to azerty to paste a string copied in notepad, underscores
> are pasted.
> - when I switch back to bépo to paste the same string, underscores are
> replaced by null characters.

I didn't install bepo but I think I see what happens.  At one point we
found that Cygwin didn't allow to generate ASCII NUL, which is usually
mapped to Ctrl+Space.  The expression which special-cases this key
sequence just checked if the Ctrl key is pressed, but didn't check if
one of the Alt keys is pressed.  I fixed that in CVS.  Please test the
next developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ which should
be up in an hour or so.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Altgr+space doesn't print the expected character when using bash and bépo keyboard layout
@ 2011-06-24  8:56     ` menfin
From: menfin @ 2011-06-24  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for your answer.

However, I still doubt about your hypothesis : how do you explain the paste
problem I described ?

@ 2011-06-24  9:20       ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-06-24  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 24 June 2011 09:56, menfin wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote:
>>
>> I didn't install bepo but I think I see what happens.  At one point we
>> found that Cygwin didn't allow to generate ASCII NUL, which is usually
>> mapped to Ctrl+Space.  The expression which special-cases this key
>> sequence just checked if the Ctrl key is pressed, but didn't check if
>> one of the Alt keys is pressed.
>
> However, I still doubt about your hypothesis : how do you explain the paste
> problem I described ?

I'd suspect the Windows console translates pasted strings into
equivalent keypresses, using the current keyboard layout.

Btw, you might also want to give mintty a try, where AltGr+Space
should work as expected already.

Andy

* Re: Altgr+space doesn't print the expected character when using bash and bépo keyboard layout
@ 2011-06-24 12:13         ` menfin
From: menfin @ 2011-06-24 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried mintty and it works fine.

It's a good workaround and I can now use cygwin with my keyboard.

I'll give a try to the next version of cygwin with console2 when it'll be
released. I have to admit I don't have the time to try to make work a
snapshot version.

Thank you both.