* setup.exe: How to install sources from the command line?
@ 2010-09-27  1:50 Al
From: Al @ 2010-09-27  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Google wasn't my friend here. I managed to install packages with the
--category and --packages option of setup.exe.  I didn't find out how
to install sources.

Thanks

Al

* Re: setup.exe: How to install sources from the command line?
@ 2010-09-27  4:11 ` Al
From: Al @ 2010-09-27  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2010/9/26 Al <oss.elmar@googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Google wasn't my friend here. I managed to install packages with the
> --category and --packages option of setup.exe.  I didn't find out how
> to install sources.

There is a second cygwin setup skripting question.

When I open the shell for the first time, the user directory is
created. Is there a trigger to reach this without manually opening a
login shell?

I tried to open the shell from within a .bat script to trigger the
user directory generation.

 P:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -

It blocked the batch script and took no additional --exec paramteter
to exit on it's own.

@ 2010-09-27 10:25   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-09-27 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/26/2010 5:56 PM, Al wrote:
> When I open the shell for the first time, the user directory is
> created. Is there a trigger to reach this without manually opening a
> login shell?

The check is in '/etc/profile'.  It's just checking if "$HOME" exists.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-09-27 11:55     ` Al
From: Al @ 2010-09-27 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> When I open the shell for the first time, the user directory is
>> created. Is there a trigger to reach this without manually opening a
>> login shell?
>
> The check is in '/etc/profile'.  It's just checking if "$HOME" exists.

Thank you, that's it. I try what's happen if I source /etc/profile
from a non login shell bash skript.

@ 2010-09-27 12:54 ` Al
From: Al @ 2010-09-27 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Google wasn't my friend here. I managed to install packages with the
> --category and --packages option of setup.exe.  I didn't find out how
> to install sources.

As there is no answer I assume it is not possible to install source
packages with setup.exe from the windows commandline. So I was looking
for an official way to install source packages from within Cygwin.
Most hits point to a tool called "apt-cyg".
http://code.google.com/p/apt-cyg/

This is a good example as the blind cygwin user is know to this list:

http://superuser.com/questions/40545/upgrading-and-installing-packages-through-the-cygwin-command-line

Still apt-cyg doesn't seem the official approach as it hosted on google.

I plan to fetch source packages by simple use of wget if there isn't a
more official and specific way.

@ 2010-09-27 16:02       ` Al
From: Al @ 2010-09-27 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For future readers of this thread.

>>> When I open the shell for the first time, the user directory is
>>> created. Is there a trigger to reach this without manually opening a
>>> login shell?
>>
>> The check is in '/etc/profile'.  It's just checking if "$HOME" exists.

This does the trick from a batch script:

  P:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c "source /etc/profile"

Al