From: "Dan Higgins" <DanHiggins@austin.rr.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: RE: Broken since 1.3.10, or earlier
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:39:00 -0000	[thread overview]

For the record, if you run the problematic command multiple times, you'll
see that the number of lines returned is not always the same. This is what I
meant by inconsistent. Also, if I first redir the find to a file, then do
   while read l; do ... done < theFile
it seems to work fine.

> It seems there's some asynchrony in the processing of the output and that
> somehow, in effect, there's a race condition.
>
> I believe we've seen other reports of similar problems.
>
> Someone who knows about the internal architecture of I/O processing in
> Cygwin might be able to shed some light on this. If, for example, there's
> some kind of queuing of I/O operations in Cygwin1.dll between the
> application code (grep or a shell, in this case) and the Windows I/O
> primitives, then there might be an opportunity for this kind of
> asynchrony.
[...]

I thought I smelled something deep down under the hood on this one. Your
guess certainly sounds more scientific than mine would...

Regards,
-Dan