* RE: ssh hanging with -f option
@ 2001-09-06  4:47 Peter Ring
From: Peter Ring @ 2001-09-06  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just installed the cygwin1.dll snapshot from the 4. of Sep.

Can you also start an rxvt terminal like this

  ssh -v -X -f someserver rxvt

While I can log in with ssh -X someserver and then start an rxvt on a local
X server (Cygwin/XFree, BTW), I can't use the -f option. I get:

debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: Sending command: rxvt
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 16384
debug1: channel 0: read<=0 rfd 4 len 0
debug1: channel 0: read failed
debug1: channel 0: input open -> drain
debug1: channel 0: close_read
debug1: channel 0: input: no drain shortcut
debug1: channel 0: ibuf empty
debug1: channel 0: input drain -> closed
debug1: channel 0: send eof
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: channel 0: rcvd eof
debug1: channel 0: output open -> drain
debug1: channel 0: rcvd close
debug1: channel 0: obuf empty
debug1: channel 0: output drain -> closed
debug1: channel 0: close_write
failed to load libX11.dll
debug1: channel 0: send close
debug1: channel 0: is dead
debug1: channel_free: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i8/0 o128/0 fd -1/-1)

debug1: channel_free: channel 0: dettaching channel user
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 0 bytes in 0.5 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 0.0
debug1: Exit status 1

The cygwin installation is up-to-date + cygwin-inst-20010904.tar.bz2 (and
the X is the most recent + XWin-Test48).

Kind regards
Peter Ring

From: Peter Ring @ 2001-09-06  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

OK I got it ... of course sshd must have a PATH that includes
/usr/X11R6/bin, and it didn't (tested with ssh -f someserver "echo \$PATH".
So I added a key named PATH in ..\Services\sshd\Parameters\Environment with
a string value that includes /usr/X11R6/bin, stopped and started sshd, and
Voila! almost success. I have to introduce a small pause like this:

  ssh -X -f 10.10.2.131 "sleep 5; rxvt"

but who cares.

As an aside, should I want to be able to start win32 gui applications on the
remote end, what priviliges must sshd have?

Kind regards
Peter Ring

I just installed the cygwin1.dll snapshot from the 4. of Sep.

Can you also start an rxvt terminal like this

  ssh -v -X -f someserver rxvt

While I can log in with ssh -X someserver and then start an rxvt on a local
X server (Cygwin/XFree, BTW), I can't use the -f option. I get:

<snip>

* Re: ssh hanging with -f option
@ 2001-09-04  9:43 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2001-09-04  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 12:12:21AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:30:52AM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> > Can someone else take a look at debugging this? In a win2k environment,
> >
> > ssh -f localhost sleep 10
> >
> > or
> >
> > ssh -f localhost echo test
> >
> > for example hang with all of the current released software. See below for
> > more deails.
>
> Eventually we found the problem in Cygwin which causes that effect.
> Try the current Cygwin from CVS or the next developers snapshot.

I'm not sure if the above is related, but the following:

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2001-08/msg00126.html

appears to be fixed in the latest Cygwin CVS too.

Thanks,
Jason

* Re: ssh hanging with -f option
@ 2001-09-01  9:28 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-09-01  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All...

I just confirmed that the latest snapshot of cygwin1.dll eliminates the
hanging problem problem in ssh. In particular,

./ssh -f localhost sleep 10

works fine.

Thanks,

...Karl

>From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: ssh hanging with -f option
>Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:12:21 +0200
>
>On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:30:52AM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> > Hi All...
> >
> > Can someone else take a look at debugging this? In a win2k environment,
> >
> > ssh -f localhost sleep 10
> >
> > or
> >
> > ssh -f localhost echo test
> >
> > for example hang with all of the current released software. See below
>for
> > more deails.
>
>Eventually we found the problem in Cygwin which causes that effect.
>Try the current Cygwin from CVS or the next developers snapshot.
>
>Corinna
>
>--
>Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
>Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
>Red Hat, Inc.
>
>--

* Re: ssh hanging with -f option
@ 2001-08-30 15:47 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-08-30 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Corinna...

I'll give that a try in the next couple of days and report back.

Thanks,

...Karl

>From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: ssh hanging with -f option
>Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:12:21 +0200
>
>On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:30:52AM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> > Hi All...
> >
> > Can someone else take a look at debugging this? In a win2k environment,
> >
> > ssh -f localhost sleep 10
> >
> > or
> >
> > ssh -f localhost echo test
> >
> > for example hang with all of the current released software. See below
>for
> > more deails.
>
>Eventually we found the problem in Cygwin which causes that effect.
>Try the current Cygwin from CVS or the next developers snapshot.
>
>Corinna
>
>--
>Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
>Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
>Red Hat, Inc.
>
>--

* Re: ssh hanging with -f option