Thanks Corinna and Brian. smartmontools does help - I can see make and model, which is definitely helpful. Oh, I guess I just didn't have blkid installed then. I'll fix that. Brian, I'd be happy to attempt implementing this, but I'm not sure where to start. With the information you've given me I should be able to figure something out, but I'm not sure how this is done in Linux/a POSIX compliant way. Would be be through a file and directory structure or through some libraries? I know a little bit of C and C++, so if I do have to write a library I should be able to muddle through, and probably learn quite a lot, but I'm not sure quite where to start here, with either the Linux side or the Cygwin side (would this be part of the Cygwin DLL?). I'm aware this might not be the right mailing list, but would appreciate if anyone knowledgeable in this area could give me a few pointers to help me get started - I'd love to contribute more to Cygwin :) Hamish