* RE: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-17 10:12 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-17 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

Bug Report:

   When setup.exe completes, but encounters a problem, then it displays
the following message: "Installation incomplete.  Check /setup.log.full
for details."  There is no setup.log.full file in the root directory.
Instead, setup.exe sensibly writes the file in in /var/log.  The message
should tell users to look in that directory.

@ 2002-07-18  2:42     ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2002-07-18  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

I'm curious, then (that and I've been staying up waaaay to late!).  Is
the MD5 checking new, or just the visual feedback with this version of
setup?  If only the visual feedback is new, then it appears Windows'
graphic elements are slowing down the process.  Any chance you can, you
know, speed up Windows ? ;^)

> > > It *should* be bug free, although there may be a minor bug with
> > > autodetection of upgrades (we have one report, but no debugging info).
> >
> > I did some test installs and re/de-installs and it appears to work well.
> > The only thing I did notice was that during the actual package
> > installation part, the Progress bar is showing "full" when it's installed
> > only about 3/4ths of the files from the package.  I noticed this more
> > with source packages than binaries, but did see it a few times with some
> > binary-only package installs.  It's really just a cosmetic thing and
> > didn't seem to effect the actual installation.  I view it as a reversal
> > of the old '98% finished' phenomenon :-)
>
> Hmm. Thats strange - I suspect it's a race of some sort with the gui updates
> (we have two threads for blocking IO operations - one to do the UI, one to
> do the IO.) Nothing much has changed there, which is why it's strange.

That is strange.  But as long as nothing goes wrong as a result, it
doesn't matter too much.

> Thanks for the feedback,

Sure thing!

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>

* Re: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-17 11:59   ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-17 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Peter A. Castro wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> While I do like the status of knowing just what setup is scanning as
> part of the package loading process, it now takes much, much longer
> to load from an "Install from Local Directory" scenario :-) (up from
> 5 seconds to about 1 minute, 45 seconds).  It's a kind of a rare
> scenario (I'm probably one of the few who keeps a full downloaded
> image of all of cygwin (kinda like a mirror site)),

I do too. I am bandwidth-challenged (24K dialup - poor telephone lines), so I
always have a local copy of anything I install.

>and it's not like
> I run setup more than once every few days, so it's an adequate trade-
> off for more status on the package load.

I suppose it might be better at the completion of each download, and when a
package is actually installed - but then we lose the possibility of marking bad
packages in the chooser.

Max.

* Re: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-17 11:43     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-17 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb@ukf.net>
>> How about 'Source Only' to emphasize the fact that most people don't
>> need setup?
>
> Once there is a binary (which will happen as soon as I get the self-
> update code tested properly) then setup will be needed by most people!

Ah - OK. At that time, will setup.exe be given an official location in /usr/bin
or somesuch, or will it be a special case (potentially outside cygwin's / - just
update in place) ?

Max.

* RE: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-17 11:25 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-17 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

Bug report:

  This problem occurs whether I install from internet or locally and
only occurs with the new pre-release (i.e., does *not* occur with
version 2.249.2.5).  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Using the latest release of setup.exe: on the Select Packages
dialogue window, in the 'Devel' category, 'Keep' is selected for
autoconf-stable (version 2.13-4) and automake-stable (version 1.4p5-5).
'Skip' is selected for 'autoconf', 'autoconf-devel', 'automake',
'automake-devel', and 'binutils'.

  2. I run 'setup.exe' through to successful completion.

  3. Using'setup-2.259.2.4.exe': on the Select Packages dialogue window,
setup has erroneously turned on 'autoconf' (2.53a-1), 'autoconf-devel'
(2.52-4), and 'binutils' (20020706-1).  As far as I know, this is an
error.  setup should not be selecting packages that I have skipped.  Or,
is there some relationship among these packages that I'm not
understanding?

@ 2002-07-17  9:56 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-17  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Harig, Mark A.', cygwin

The only way emacs gets in the setup.exe list is if someone packages it.

If you'd like to see some doco on setup.exe, have a look at
http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html.

Cheers,
Rob

* RE: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-17  9:26 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-17  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

@ 2002-07-17  6:56 John Vincent
From: John Vincent @ 2002-07-17  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.collins; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

I've just followed the link to test your pre-release of
setup, and I very much like the changes you've made.

I think I've found a bug however:

I'm using Win2k SP2 with NTFS local disk. I downloaded from
http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-2.259.2.4.exe
and selected Download for internet. I downloaded from
http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk, changing "default" to "install"
against the "all" option so everything new was downloaded.
Everything went OK, until I got a pop-up box saying "download
incomplete. Try again ?" On trying again, setup determined
there was nothing to download, and then produced the pop-up box
again. I selected "No" and then continued the setup process.
I then re-started setup to "install from local directory"
and everything appears to have gone OK.

I then restarted setup.exe again, and selected "download from internet"
I selected the same source, and to install all, as before. Setup
determined there was nothing to download, but again produced
the "download incomplete"pop-up box.

I hope this report is detailed enough to be helpful.

/John Vincent.

* Re: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-17  3:26   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-17  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher, cygwin

@ 2002-07-17  3:24   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-17  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter A. Castro, cygwin

@ 2002-07-17  3:11 ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2002-07-17  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> We're coming up on a new release of setup.exe, with a number of user
> interface enhancements to make it more obvious what setup is doing when it
> 'pauses'.

While I do like the status of knowing just what setup is scanning as part
of the package loading process, it now takes much, much longer to load
from an "Install from Local Directory" scenario :-) (up from 5 seconds to
about 1 minute, 45 seconds).  It's a kind of a rare scenario (I'm
probably one of the few who keeps a full downloaded image of all of
cygwin (kinda like a mirror site)), and it's not like I run setup more
than once every few days, so it's an adequate trade-off for more status
on the package load.

> It *should* be bug free, although there may be a minor bug with
> autodetection of upgrades (we have one report, but no debugging info).

I did some test installs and re/de-installs and it appears to work well.
The only thing I did notice was that during the actual package
installation part, the Progress bar is showing "full" when it's installed
only about 3/4ths of the files from the package.  I noticed this more
with source packages than binaries, but did see it a few times with some
binary-only package installs.  It's really just a cosmetic thing and
didn't seem to effect the actual installation.  I view it as a reversal
of the old '98% finished' phenomenon :-)

> The pre-release snapshot can be found at
> http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-2.259.2.4.exe.
>
> As usual, the quality of this release will depend on feedback from you, the
> users. Please give the new version a go, and if you have *any* trouble, send
> me the setup.log and setup.log.full from your run of setup.exe.

I haven't tried a full reload of cygwin (might try that later), but doing
a few minor updates and a few re/de-installs did not turn up any
problems.  Looking good!

--

@ 2002-07-16 18:18 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Harig, Mark A.', cygwin

Thanks for the feedback.. Responses inline

There isn't, theres a single package (guile-devel) that has invented a
new category on the fly. Jan, Ohhh Jan!

>   3. 'setup' is available under both 'System' and 'Utils'.  'Admin'
> seems to me like the most appropriate group for 'setup'.

Hmm, it could go there I suppose. For now, as there is no binary :}, I'm
happy with the status quo.

Rob

* Re: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-16 14:36 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-16 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-16 13:18 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-16 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-16  8:41 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-16  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Demmer, Thomas'; +Cc: cygwin

Cool, thank you. Any chance you can send me the log files?

Rob

* RE: New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-16  8:22 Demmer, Thomas
From: Demmer, Thomas @ 2002-07-16  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins'; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

It kept on printing on it's canvas that it tried to exectue iu-config.sh.
Looked to me like spawning the process and then repainting.
In either the setup.log[.full] it clearly stated that it couldn't create
the file, that's how I figured it out.

Ciao
Tom

@ 2002-07-15 22:13 ` Joerg R. Schaible
From: Joerg R. Schaible @ 2002-07-15 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Robert,

> The pre-release snapshot can be found at
> http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-2.259.2.4.exe.
>
> We're coming up on a new release of setup.exe, with a number of user
> interface enhancements to make it more obvious what setup is doing when it
> 'pauses'.
>
> It *should* be bug free, although there may be a minor bug with
> autodetection of upgrades (we have one report, but no debugging info).

I tried this setup version, but I got some really strange results regarding
the autodetection.

My system was upgraded last time roughly 3 months ago. I always use the
2-step method: Download from Internet; Install from local. I used sunsite.dk
for download.

1) Setup did not present me all updates. E.g. packages like cygwin, cygutils
were at "keep" although I knew there were newer versions (I never switched
between Prev/Curr/Exp, only between the View Category/Full).
2) Even when I'd explicitly chosen e.g. cygutils for the new version 1.1.1.1
(I had still 1.0.0.1) the package was not loaded ... the checkbox in the
binary col was not set. I *assume* any package without a default selection
for the binary column is not selected automatically for an upgrade (possibly
only if the current version is not available as previous version anymore ...
??).
3) Even harded was the upgrade from cygwin 1.3.10.x to 1.3.12-2, since every
time I toggled any other package, the cygwin package was reset to version
1.3.10.x with "keep"
4) I cannot download the gettext package anymore. The explicit selection of
gettext-1.11.2-2 will download it, but it is not available for local
installation toggling the second column (although I got the
gettext-devel-1.11.2-2 package).

The behaviour for the dependencies was equal for "download" and "local
install" mode (except topic 4, since nothing was downloaded).

I tried another download/install loop with the mirror
sunsite.cnlabs-switch.ch because of gettext. Setup warned me that it found
an older setup.ini, but I used it anyway. I supposed that no package would
be downloaded, except of my (again) exlicitly selected gettext-1.11.2-2. I
was astonished, but setup did not only download gettext-1.11.2-2 again, but
also an older version of expat and _PostInstallLast. From the local
installation I had to chose for these two packages "keep" explicitly,
otherwise the two packages would have been downgraded! And again, the
gettext-1.11.2-2 is not avalable for local installation.

Regards,
Jörg

* New setup pre-release - feedback needed
@ 2002-07-13 12:21 Robert Collins