* Installing cygwin on Windows 7 prompts for Admin credentials
@ 2011-06-23 19:53 Robert Jacobson
From: Robert Jacobson @ 2011-06-23 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I would like to let one of my users install cygwin as a normal
(non-admin) account.

However, when they run setup.exe, they get a UAC prompt "Do you want to
allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to
your computer?

To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes."

I'd like to let them install it, but obviously I don't want to give them
admin privs.

What else can I do to workaround this?

--
Robert Jacobson

* Re: Installing cygwin on Windows 7 prompts for Admin credentials
@ 2011-06-23 21:16 ` B. Ossia
From: B. Ossia @ 2011-06-23 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have tried to install Cygwin for Windows 7 but it failed to finish
installation and stalls at 99% .No idea why but never was asked on
allowing it to make changes to the computer. i am also using plain
text format and hope this message go through for god sake!

@ 2011-06-24  8:40 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-06-24  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 23 15:52, Robert Jacobson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to let one of my users install cygwin as a normal
> (non-admin) account.
>
> However, when they run setup.exe, they get a UAC prompt "Do you want to
> allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to
> your computer?
>
> To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes."
>
> I'd like to let them install it, but obviously I don't want to give them
> admin privs.
>
> What else can I do to workaround this?

Start "Local Security Policy" -> Security Settings -> Local Policies ->
Security Options.  Disable the setting "User Account Control: Detect
application installations and prompt for elevation".

Or rename setup.exe to foo.exe.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905330.aspx#wvduac_topic3

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Installing cygwin on Windows 7 prompts for Admin credentials
@ 2011-06-24 11:05   ` Robert Jacobson
From: Robert Jacobson @ 2011-06-24 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Or rename setup.exe to foo.exe.

Thanks!

I'm both relieved and dismayed that it is so easy to bypass ...

--

@ 2011-06-26 17:20     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-06-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Jacobson, cygwin

Greetings, Robert Jacobson!

>> Or rename setup.exe to foo.exe.

> I'm both relieved and dismayed that it is so easy to bypass ...

It's not THAT easy. In this regard, UAC is troubling more than helping.
User with limited rights will not be able to affect system stability (except
if using exploits and security holes, that M$ leave a ton).
That said, the prompt is completely bogus.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...