* RE: Trying to run VBScript from Cygwin
       [not found] <1150185703.15985.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2006-06-13  9:26 ` steve dean
From: steve dean @ 2006-06-13  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>You are aware when you ssh (or rsh/telnet, etc) into a Windows box using
>Cygwin that you are using pty's and that many Windows programs don't like
>pty's.
>
>You might try re-writing that VBScript something more suitable for Cygwin
>like Perl or something like that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know very little about Perl but from what I've
seen whilst Excel will work the other programme (a CAD package) won't. Have
you any other ideas?

I also appreciate that I am running GUI applications but intend to run them
in batch in the background and therefore don't need any display to be
visible. Not sure if this is an added problem or not. Ideally I want to run
everything on my linux box and then fire off an ssh to a Windows box running
cygwin to do the bits that don't exist on linux.

Sorry about the disclaimer. Forgot it was going to be there. I've now moved
to a non-work address to stop it happening. Didn't see anything that says
it's against site policy so sorry.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

* Re: Trying to run VBScript from Cygwin
@ 2006-06-13 22:23   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2006-06-13 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

steve dean wrote:
>> You are aware when you ssh (or rsh/telnet, etc) into a Windows box
>> using Cygwin that you are using pty's and that many Windows programs
>> don't like pty's.
>>
>> You might try re-writing that VBScript something more suitable for
>> Cygwin like Perl or something like that.
> Thanks for the suggestion. I know very little about Perl but from what
> I've seen whilst Excel will work the other programme (a CAD package)
> won't. Have you any other ideas?
Huh? Perl is Perl. What does that have to with Excel or "a CAD
package"?!? Are you trying to drive Excel or this CAD package via the
script?

I assume you are and since you asked about VBScript I will further
assume that perhaps the CAD package offers a VBScript interface? Well
one thing you can do is ask the CAD package maker if they similar offer
a Perl API. Also, I believe Perl can manipulate COM objects like
VBScript objects. I'm not sure though. When it gets that Windows like
and proprietary I usually opt out and tell them to use a more standard
set of tools.
> I also appreciate that I am running GUI applications but intend to run
> them in batch in the background and therefore don't need any display
> to be visible. Not sure if this is an added problem or not. Ideally I
> want to run everything on my linux box and then fire off an ssh to a
> Windows box running cygwin to do the bits that don't exist on linux.
Understood. Just understand that some Windows oriented programs get
confused when run attached to something like ssh or rxvt which uses ptys
underneath. For example, I do Clearcase work (from IBM/Rational). It
provides a command line tool called cleartool. When you run cleartool
with no parms it prompts you for a command. On rxvt (or ssh, etc.) you
don't see the prompt because it's written to something like /dev/con or
something like that. The cleartool command also allows you to do
cleartool <cmd> which just executes <cmd> under cleartool and exits.
That's they way I use it anyway. But I'm very aware that if cleartool
ever has to prompt me then I won't see the prompt. Luckily I usually
just specify everything on the command line and we're both happy with that.

If you are running GUI apps in command mode (or just command apps) they
may be confused when you are in a situation where you are using a pty.
ssh/telnet, etc all use ptys. So does rxvt. So if it isn't working
correctly try remote desktop into the other machine then run a plain
bash shell in a cmd window and try it. If it works then then I would
suspect you have a pty problem.
> Sorry about the disclaimer. Forgot it was going to be there. I've now
> moved to a non-work address to stop it happening. Didn't see anything
> that says it's against site policy so sorry.
While the disclaimer is now shorter, I alway abhor even the short ads to
use MSN messenger or Yahoo whatever...

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
He's not dead, he's electroencephalographically challenged.

* Re: Trying to run VBScript from Cygwin
@ 2006-06-06 21:24 ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2006-06-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dean Steve wrote:
> I'm also opening a ssh connection from a Linux box to a Windows machine to
> run a Windows process using CreateObject within VBScript. I have been able
> to replicate the problem using Excel so I know it's not my other program
> that is causing the problem. When I run the script, the process starts in
> the Task Manager but the script fails to proceed any further. I didn't get
> any error messages originally but when I reinstalled cygrunsrv with the -i
> option I did get a similar message to Paul complaining about the
> CreateObject option.
>
> As with Paul the script works fine when I run it locally when I am sat at
> the machine but seems to hang when I am using ssh. I don't know of any
> immediate workarounds and I can't change the software like the suggested fix
> for Paul so do you have any other solutions?

---
    I'm not sure I understand the problem, but it seems like
you are trying to log into a Windows machine from a remote system
(running some unknown software).  Then you are trying to start
a GUI application like Excel or Word.

    You realize, that even if you managed to start Excel or Word,
that the output of those programs would "try" to be displayed on
the machine you are "ssh"ing into.  I.e. -- they, normally, will
only display on the same machine they are running on.

    Is this what you are intending?
    Word and Excel aren't written using the "X" protocol, so
they can't have their output easily forwarded over an "ssh"
connection to be displayed elsewhere.

    If you need that feature, you might google for "Windows remote
desktop" and read up on the results...

-linda

* Re: Trying to run VBScript from Cygwin
@ 2006-06-02 19:08   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-02 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:37:16AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>If you can, lose the following. It's quite annoying... (And yes I know
>sometimes you can't... Don't know why companies insist on such long
>disclaimers that nobody cares about nor reads...)

Not only is it annoying, it is against site policy to include such messages
in the public email sent here.

>[disclaimer snipped]

cgf

* Re: Trying to run VBScript from Cygwin
@ 2006-06-02 18:40 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2006-06-02 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2006-06-02 15:42 Dean Steve