From: Brian Clifton <brian@clifton.me>
To: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Proposed patch for web site: update most links to HTTPS
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 23:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi folks,

Sorry for the top reply in my previous posts, I'm new to email lists :)

Forcing HTTPS was the goal I had in mind, for exactly the reason Vince mentions (for security and privacy). Using relative URLs is OK if a rewrite rule is put in place, forcing HTTPS (which is the case). But many of the links updated are external and do not do that.

There are many articles about why you should always use HTTPS.  The article I referenced with the patch is:
https://textslashplain.com/2016/03/17/seek-and-destroy-non-secure-references-using-the-moartls-analyzer/

Another from Google can be found here:
https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/security/encrypt-in-transit/why-https?hl=en

Besides security, another important consideration is that search engines prefer HTTPS links (and rank them higher, even if only by a small amount).

In addition to this patch, Apache could be configured better (Cygwin.com scores a B):
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=cygwin.com

Thanks
Brian