* Attempting Gedit install on Cygwin
@ 2012-08-01 17:31 Mitchell, Tim
From: Mitchell, Tim @ 2012-08-01 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey Cygwin gurus,

I'm on day 4 of my attempted install of Gedit-3.2.6 and  my frustration
has surpassed my fear of asking the "stupid question".
Is this even possible? My OS is Windows 7 Pro and I'm running Cygwin
version :
$ cygcheck -V
cygcheck (cygwin) 1.7.15
System Checker for Cygwin

I haven't read anything on "the Web" that leads to me to believe that
this is an impossible endeavor.
I've downloaded the gedit-3.2.6.tar, unpacked/extracted it and run the
Configure file.
After numerous attempts and after adding XML:: Perl Parsers, adding
intltool-0.50.2 and Expat 2.1.0 plus anything else it asked for,
I am now being told that required packages are missing, them being:
gtksourceview-3.0
libpeas-1.0
libpeas-gtk-1.0

The above packages I did not find under the Cygwin package list. I was
able to find, download and configure  gtksourceview-3.0
but it still comes up missing when I re-run the gedit configure. I found
libpeas-1.4.0 but have not been able to configure it.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Mitchell
Web Application Developer
Southeast Alabama Medical Center
Phone: 334-793-8007
Email: tgmitchell@samc.org

* Re: Attempting Gedit install on Cygwin
@ 2012-08-01 22:15 ` Aaron Schneider
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-08-01 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01/08/2012 19:31, Mitchell, Tim wrote:
> Hey Cygwin gurus,
>
> I'm on day 4 of my attempted install of Gedit-3.2.6 and  my frustration
> has surpassed my fear of asking the "stupid question".
> Is this even possible? My OS is Windows 7 Pro and I'm running Cygwin
> version :
> $ cygcheck -V
> cygcheck (cygwin) 1.7.15
> System Checker for Cygwin
>
> I haven't read anything on "the Web" that leads to me to believe that
> this is an impossible endeavor.
> I've downloaded the gedit-3.2.6.tar, unpacked/extracted it and run the
> Configure file.
> After numerous attempts and after adding XML:: Perl Parsers, adding
> intltool-0.50.2 and Expat 2.1.0 plus anything else it asked for,
> I am now being told that required packages are missing, them being:
> gtksourceview-3.0
> libpeas-1.0
> libpeas-gtk-1.0
>
> The above packages I did not find under the Cygwin package list. I was
> able to find, download and configure  gtksourceview-3.0
> but it still comes up missing when I re-run the gedit configure. I found
> libpeas-1.4.0 but have not been able to configure it.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

You can't just extract a tar.bz2 to cygwin tree and expect it to work if
you don't know what you are doing. Probably there are missing
dependencies or post-install tasks to be done. Since GEdit belongs to
gnome environment it's not in the default cygwin setup.exe tree, you
should install it from cyports: http://sourceware.org/cygwinports/