* OpenSSH port forwarding bug
@ 2014-02-13  3:45 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2014-02-13  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All...
The following example shows the port forwarding problem.

 ~

$ ssh raven -W coyote:22
getsockname failed: Bad file descriptor
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.5
Protocol mismatch.
~

$ ssh raven nc coyote 22
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.5
Protocol mismatch.

This is the latest version of everything on a win7-64 pro machine.

Thanks,

...Karl

* Re: OpenSSH port forwarding bug
@ 2014-02-13  9:39 ` Andrew Schulman
       [not found]   ` <BLU173-W34071B5D95ADF6D2547C49B59C0@phx.gbl>
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-02-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hi All...
> The following example shows the port forwarding problem.
>

>  ~
>
> $ ssh raven -W coyote:22
> getsockname failed: Bad file descriptor
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.5
> Protocol mismatch.
> ~
>
> $ ssh raven nc coyote 22
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.5
> Protocol mismatch.

What are you trying to do?

@ 2014-02-15  8:11     ` Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2014-02-15  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schulman.andrew, cygwin

@ 2014-02-20  1:35       ` Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2014-02-20  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schulman.andrew, cygwin

> Subject: RE: OpenSSH port forwarding bug
> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 22:11:03 -0800
>
>> Subject: RE: OpenSSH port forwarding bug
>> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:48:53 -0800
>>
>> Hi Andrew...
>>
>> This is what I usually use in a proxycommand. So the example localized
>> it to just one layer. You can see that it connects to an ssh server and
>> then drops when I fail to complete the handshake. That is expected.
>>
>> The example shows that ssd -W gives an error, but doing the same thing
>> with ssh nc works fine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ...Karl
>>
>>> Subject: Re: OpenSSH port forwarding bug
>>> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:44:54 -0500

>>> What are you trying to do?
>>>

>>> --
> --
Hi All...

So I solved my real problem. It was a typo in my .ssh/config file that prevented me from being able to use the proxy command in ssh. I've used it for years.

But there is still a minor bug in ssh, When I use a proxycommand with ssh with the -W option, to avoid using an external program such as netcat (nc) the error message "getsockname failed: Bad file descriptor" is displayed. The proxycommand works, but displays this error message. Using netcat does not display this error message.

The example above is a STC showing the error in a more easily visible way. The names raven and coyote are local names on my network at home.

I am wishing the error message into the cornfield.

@ 2014-02-20  8:50         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-02-20  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 19 17:18, Karl M wrote:

> > --
> Hi All...
>
> So I solved my real problem. It was a typo in my .ssh/config file that prevented me from being able to use the proxy command in ssh. I've used it for years.
>
> But there is still a minor bug in ssh, When I use a proxycommand with ssh with the -W option, to avoid using an external program such as netcat (nc) the error message "getsockname failed: Bad file descriptor" is displayed. The proxycommand works, but displays this error message. Using netcat does not display this error message.
>
> The example above is a STC showing the error in a more easily visible way. The names raven and coyote are local names on my network at home.
>
> I am wishing the error message into the cornfield.

Cygwin's getsockname is called with a file descriptor -1.  I tried
it on Linux and it occurs with the 6.5p1 version as well so it's a
generic problem, still present upstream.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: OpenSSH port forwarding bug
@ 2014-02-20  8:51           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-02-20  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin