* RE: cygwin too slow
@ 2003-11-13  7:32 koorapati, koundinya
From: koorapati, koundinya @ 2003-11-13  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks to all who replied - Brian, Reid, Eric Rolf, kevin, shankar ; Sorry
if I have left out any, I'm glad to say that I was able to find out why and
that solved my problem. It was with the HOME variable which was by default
set to /cygwindrive/h or something like that. Being a total newbie on
Windows, I did not bother to touch this. Not I have learnt how to set
environment variables in Windows and have set it to c:\ and the problem I
was seeing disappeared. I promise to read the FAQ/Documentation do some
googling etc  :)

Thanks again !

Koundinya

From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-11-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-11-12 18:17 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-11-12 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: koorapati, koundinya; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, koorapati, koundinya wrote:

> I restricted my path to just /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin , but
> still there's been no change in slowness that I see with every command. Here
> we are given a customized Windows O.S for the company I work, by Dell
> (Windows 2000 Pro). This is really mysterious. In strace I'm not able to see
> which system call is eating up so much time as when I start a program say
> 'ls' with strace, I see nothing and only as ls begins to run after getting
> loaded, strace throws it's output. I guess strace is also taking it's own
> time to run ?. I'm also not sure what tools on windows could be used for
> troubleshooting as this is my first close encounter with MS Windows :)

There is *lots* of info about these kinds of problems if you just look.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=commands+slow+to+start+site%3Acygwin.com&btnG=Google+Search

Does /usr/bin/ls.exe run slow?

And, this *still* applies:

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* RE: cygwin too slow
@ 2003-11-12 12:11 kevin.lawton
From: kevin.lawton @ 2003-11-12 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: koorapati_koundinya, ford, cygwin

Hi Koundinya,
At that sort of spec, there's no way you are running out of system resources. This infers that it is most likely a storage problem: either hard drive (see 'activity' light) or network (enable network icon in taskbar and watch it). Probably a good idea to check that the paging file has been set up sensibly, but that shouldn't make much difference with the figures you've given. If asked, I'd suggest about a 1 Gb static paging file about right for that spec of system - but it doesn't look like swapping/paging is your problem here.
Kevin.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, koorapati, koundinya wrote:

> But simple commands like ls take this time
>
> $ time ls -l
> total 23
> drwxr-xr-x    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-        0 Nov 11 17:50 Mail
> -rw-r--r--    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-       39 Nov 10 17:42 t.c
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-    11224 Nov 10 17:40 t.exe
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-    11224 Nov 10 17:43 tt.exe
>
> real    0m18.115s
> user    0m0.020s
> sys     0m0.010s

WAG, got any network drives in your path, especially ones that are not
accessable?  Where does strace show a long time between system calls?

And, oh yeah:

http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html

too.

--

@ 2003-11-12 11:52 kevin.lawton

@ 2003-11-12 11:30 koorapati, koundinya

@ 2003-11-11 17:06 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-11-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: koorapati, koundinya; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2003-11-11 14:33 ` Rolf Campbell
From: Rolf Campbell @ 2003-11-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

http://cygwin.com/problems.html

koorapati, koundinya wrote:
> Hey Cygwin users,
>      After using UNIX desktops for nearly seven years now, I'm forced to use
> a windows desktop. Since I knew a thing like cygwin existed, I installed the
> complete set of packages and I was thrilled. But simple commands like ls
> take this time
>
> $ time ls -l
> total 23
> drwxr-xr-x    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-        0 Nov 11 17:50 Mail
> -rw-r--r--    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-       39 Nov 10 17:42 t.c
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-    11224 Nov 10 17:40 t.exe
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 kkoorapa mkgroup-    11224 Nov 10 17:43 tt.exe
>
> real    0m18.115s
> user    0m0.020s
> sys     0m0.010s
>
> Likewise any utility I try to use like vi, emacs etc just take really long.
> I'm not sure how  I could debug this. I did try to use strace etc, but got
> no clues. Searching the archives also did not help me. BTW, I use Win 2000
> Pro on a DELL Box with 512MB RAM and at this time, top shows this:
>
>  18:18:11 up  7:57,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
> 7 processes: 6 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
> CPU states:   0.2% user,   1.2% system,   0.0% nice,  98.6% idle
> Mem:    522228K total,   210788K used,   311440K free,        0K buffers
> Swap:   753248K total,   276720K used,   476528K free,        0K cached
>
> Thanks for any help !
>
> Koundinya

* cygwin too slow
@ 2003-11-11 12:49 koorapati, koundinya