* RE: G++ and ISO C++ conformity?
@ 2000-09-07  1:50 Schaible, Joerg
From: Schaible, Joerg @ 2000-09-07  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan B. Caveney, cygwin

Hi Ryan,

> > Header files that could not be found:
> >      <limits>   e.g. numeric_limits<int>::max();
> >         <sstream>  e.g. ostringstream ost;
>
> what I can say is that the stringstream stuff is there --
> it's just named
> differently.  On my Cygwin (1.1.2 base), /usr/include/g++-3/ contains
> strstream, not sstream, and the classes it defines are called
> things like
> ostrstream, not ostringstream.  HTH.

Sorry to say, but you're wrong. The headers and classes you detected were
part of the ANSI-C++ 2.0 spec, the others are part of ANSI-C++ 3.0 and
should be there.

limits: it is known that it is missing
sstream: new IO classes are in development and hopefully ready soon

Try www.STLport.org

Jörg

* Re: G++ and ISO C++ conformity?
@ 2000-09-06  6:12 jens
From: jens @ 2000-09-06  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christoph.loewe; +Cc: cygwin

 I might not be the right person to comment on this.

 First of all I don't know if I understand your
terminology. g++ could eather be the C++ compiler.
Or the libg++ library. libg++ is an old library and
is not used anymore. When you compile C++ programs
with g++/gcc today you use libstdc++. And neather
g++/gcc or the libstd++ is up to date. v3 of both is
in development. Don't know the state at the moment.
I guess maybe one of the g++/gcc maintainers could
comment on it. libstdc++ is not realy a part of
g++/gcc. It is developed in another team.

 /Jens

>Hi,
>
>I have recently downloaded the latest Cygwin archive
>to start a project in C++. I have read Bjarne Stroustrup's
>"The C++ Programming Language" (Special Ed.) and was surprised
>to find several includes and functions missing in the g++
>distribution.
>
>Header files that could not be found:
>     <limits>   e.g. numeric_limits<int>::max();
>        <sstream>  e.g. ostringstream ost;
>
>Furthermore the "range controlled" indexing via at()
>would not work.
>
>Can it be that G++ does not completely support ISO C++?
>Or did I forget to install something?
>Is an update planned, if indeed some features of ISO C++
>are indeed missing in g++?
>
>I used the Setup.exe and did a complete Install via
>Internet.
>
>Thanks for your time...
>
>Regards,
>     AEon

* Re: G++ and ISO C++ conformity?
@ 2000-09-06  5:56 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2000-09-06  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christoph.loewe; +Cc: Cygwin

christoph.loewe@gameplay.de on 2000.09.06 06:01:04
>I have recently downloaded the latest Cygwin archive
>to start a project in C++. I have read Bjarne Stroustrup's
>"The C++ Programming Language" (Special Ed.) and was surprised
>to find several includes and functions missing in the g++
>distribution.
>
>Header files that could not be found:
>     <limits>   e.g. numeric_limits<int>::max();
>        <sstream>  e.g. ostringstream ost;
>
>Furthermore the "range controlled" indexing via at()
>would not work.
>
>Can it be that G++ does not completely support ISO C++?
>Or did I forget to install something?
>Is an update planned, if indeed some features of ISO C++
>are indeed missing in g++?

Books aren't the best sources to get the latest standard.  I haven't been
following g++ or C++ in a while so I can't comment on how conformant g++ is, but
I would look through the web to find the latest standard.  The latest one I have
is dated 2 December 1996.

Noel

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

* G++ and ISO C++ conformity?
@ 2000-09-06  2:58 christoph.loewe