* completion-ignore-case problem with cygwin
@ 2006-09-14 20:50 Bruce Levy
From: Bruce Levy @ 2006-09-14 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
I am using version 1.5.21-2 of cygwin with version 5.1-5 of readline.

I have the following lines in ~/.inputrc:

set completion-ignore-case on
set show-all-if-ambiguous on

set bell-style none

# to show all characters
set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

and ~/.bashrc contains the following line:

shopt -s nocaseglob

In my home directory, I have a directory called Saved.  I type s<TAB> (lower
case s followed by the TAB character), but I do NOT get any filename completion.
 If I type S<TAB> (upper case S followed bgy the TAB character), I do get
filename completion.

It seems that even though I have set completion-ignore-case on, it remains off.

I enter the following command:

$ bind -V | grep completion
completion-ignore-case is set to `off'
disable-completion is set to `off'
page-completions is set to `on'
print-completions-horizontally is set to `off'
completion-query-items is set to `100'

Please notice that completion-ignore-case is set to off!  I can execute the
following commands that seems to prove that I am unable to
turn on completion-ignore-case.

$ set completion-ignore-case on

$ bind -v | grep ignore-case
set completion-ignore-case off

Why am I unable to set completion-ignore-case?  What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Bruce Levy

* Re: completion-ignore-case problem with cygwin
@ 2006-09-14 21:41 ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-09-14 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Levy; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Bruce Levy wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using version 1.5.21-2 of cygwin with version 5.1-5 of readline.
>
> I have the following lines in ~/.inputrc:
>
> set completion-ignore-case on
> set show-all-if-ambiguous on
>
> set bell-style none
>
> # to show all characters
> set meta-flag on
> set input-meta on
> set convert-meta off
> set output-meta on
>
> and ~/.bashrc contains the following line:
>
> shopt -s nocaseglob
>

> In my home directory, I have a directory called Saved.  I type s<TAB>
> (lower case s followed by the TAB character), but I do NOT get any
> filename completion.
>  If I type S<TAB> (upper case S followed bgy the TAB character), I do
> get filename completion.
>
> It seems that even though I have set completion-ignore-case on, it
> remains off.
>
> I enter the following command:
>
> $ bind -V | grep completion
> completion-ignore-case is set to `off'
> disable-completion is set to `off'
> page-completions is set to `on'
> print-completions-horizontally is set to `off'
> completion-query-items is set to `100'
>
> Please notice that completion-ignore-case is set to off!  I can execute
> the following commands that seems to prove that I am unable to turn on
> completion-ignore-case.

Yes, it definitely seems to be turned off.  Are you sure your ~/.inputrc
gets read?  Is your HOME variable set correctly?

> $ set completion-ignore-case on

This will not do what you expect.  You want

bind 'set completion-ignore-case on'

> $ bind -v | grep ignore-case
> set completion-ignore-case off
>
> Why am I unable to set completion-ignore-case?  What am I doing wrong?

Try running 'bash -vx --login -i' to see what commands are executed when
you run a login shell.  Perhaps there is a startup script somewhere that
executes the bind command to turn completion-ignore-case off.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* RE: completion-ignore-case problem with cygwin
@ 2006-09-14 22:40   ` Levy, Bruce
From: Levy, Bruce @ 2006-09-14 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Igor,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I invoked 'bash -vx --login -i' and watched the commands that were being
executed.  I did NOT see any reference to completion-ignore-case.
Should I see the lines in .inputrc being executed?  I did not see any
.inputrc output.

From my bash shell I ran bind 'set completion-ignore-case on' and that
worked perfectly.  I then tried putting that line into .bashrc and that
also worked.  So, I have a workaround, but I'm not sure why .inputrc is
not invoked.

Anyway, I sure appreciate your help.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

> I am using version 1.5.21-2 of cygwin with version 5.1-5 of readline.
>
> I have the following lines in ~/.inputrc:
>
> set completion-ignore-case on
> set show-all-if-ambiguous on
>
> set bell-style none
>
> # to show all characters
> set meta-flag on
> set input-meta on
> set convert-meta off
> set output-meta on
>
> and ~/.bashrc contains the following line:
>
> shopt -s nocaseglob
>

> In my home directory, I have a directory called Saved.  I type s<TAB>
> (lower case s followed by the TAB character), but I do NOT get any
> filename completion.
>  If I type S<TAB> (upper case S followed bgy the TAB character), I do
> get filename completion.
>
> It seems that even though I have set completion-ignore-case on, it
> remains off.
>
> I enter the following command:
>
> $ bind -V | grep completion
> completion-ignore-case is set to `off'
> disable-completion is set to `off'
> page-completions is set to `on'
> print-completions-horizontally is set to `off'
> completion-query-items is set to `100'
>
> Please notice that completion-ignore-case is set to off!  I can
execute
> the following commands that seems to prove that I am unable to turn on
> completion-ignore-case.

Yes, it definitely seems to be turned off.  Are you sure your ~/.inputrc
gets read?  Is your HOME variable set correctly?

> $ set completion-ignore-case on

This will not do what you expect.  You want

bind 'set completion-ignore-case on'

> $ bind -v | grep ignore-case
> set completion-ignore-case off
>
> Why am I unable to set completion-ignore-case?  What am I doing wrong?

Try running 'bash -vx --login -i' to see what commands are executed when
you run a login shell.  Perhaps there is a startup script somewhere that
executes the bind command to turn completion-ignore-case off.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_	    pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu |
igor@watson.ibm.com
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name
changed!)

"Las! je suis sot... -Mais non, tu ne l'es pas, puisque tu t'en rends
compte."
"But no -- you are no fool; you call yourself a fool, there's proof
enough in

@ 2006-09-15 11:11     ` Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2006-09-15 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Levy, Bruce wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> I invoked 'bash -vx --login -i' and watched the commands that were being
> executed.  I did NOT see any reference to completion-ignore-case.
> Should I see the lines in .inputrc being executed?  I did not see any
> .inputrc output.
>
> From my bash shell I ran bind 'set completion-ignore-case on' and that
> worked perfectly.  I then tried putting that line into .bashrc and that
> also worked.  So, I have a workaround, but I'm not sure why .inputrc is
> not invoked.

Why don't you include

export INPUTRC=~/.inputrc

on your .bashrc

You may the then restart bash.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Network Administrator

* Re: completion-ignore-case problem with cygwin
@ 2006-09-15 11:44     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-09-15 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, blevy

Ugh - http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU reformatted.

                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ugh - spam feeder.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

> Yes, it definitely seems to be turned off.  Are you sure your ~/.inputrc
> gets read?  Is your HOME variable set correctly?
>

> Try running 'bash -vx --login -i' to see what commands are executed when
> you run a login shell.  Perhaps there is a startup script somewhere that
> executes the bind command to turn completion-ignore-case off.
>
> HTH,
> 	Igor

According to Levy, Bruce on 9/14/2006 4:40 PM:
> Hi Igor,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> I invoked 'bash -vx --login -i' and watched the commands that were being
> executed.  I did NOT see any reference to completion-ignore-case.
> Should I see the lines in .inputrc being executed?  I did not see any
> .inputrc output.

The sourcing of ~/.inputrc will not show up in the bash trace.  If you are
desparate, you can use strace to see what files bash sources, but the
output is quite long and should not be posted here without an explicit
request.

> From my bash shell I ran bind 'set completion-ignore-case on' and that
> worked perfectly.  I then tried putting that line into .bashrc and that
> also worked.  So, I have a workaround, but I'm not sure why .inputrc is
> not invoked.

Igor's question about HOME is important - are you changing $HOME inside of
your .bashrc?  It could be that bash IS attempting to source ~/.inputrc,
but at a time when ~ is incorrectly set.  You can also set the INPUTRC
environment variable (prior to bash's execution) to tell bash to look
somewhere else, to ensure that your file is picked up during readline
initialization.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net
volunteer cygwin readline maintainer

* RE: completion-ignore-case problem with cygwin
@ 2006-09-15 19:44       ` Levy, Bruce
From: Levy, Bruce @ 2006-09-15 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Blake, cygwin

Hi Eric,

Thank you (and Igor) for the help.  I have created a Windows Environment
Variable that points to .inputrc.  That has fixed the problem.  Your
suggestion (and Igor's) about checking the setting of HOME has gotten me
to clean up my startup files.  I got rid of my old ones and used the
ones in /etc/defaults/etc/skel.  My startup process is now much cleaner
and one that I can maintain.

I very much appreciate the help.

Best Wishes,
Bruce