* RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me         (a.exe now)
@ 2000-01-13 12:05 Christopher Jones
From: Christopher Jones @ 2000-01-13 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Title: RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me         (a.exe now)

As far as I know the problems which were solved by having the .exe automatically appended to the executable's name could have just as easily been dealt with via Makefiles, and I agree it probably creates more problems than it solves.  For that matter why couldn't we have just been forced to do something like gcc -o a.exe a.c instead?  This interoperability tradeoff has a cost in terms of emulation.

Related to another thread, I think cygwin goes after two slightly different objectives at the same time and it creates problems when you talk about things like the POSIX filenames mentioned earlier.  On the one hand you want to have a UNIX emulation layer and on the other you want to have interoperability with the Windows environment.  I personally place a lot less emphasis on the latter.  Windows be damned.  Maybe there should be two environments, one for compromises to induce interoperability and another without those compromises.  My guess is that the latter would be easier to setup and easier to use.

Brian

@ 2000-01-14 11:58             ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 2000-01-14 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: rbh00, cygwin

Looks fine to me, I can live with that ;) Let the default be the current
behavior, and people who don't need/want .exe suffixes automatically
appended to executables (like me) can have some variable set on their
.bashrc files that would turn off this automatic feature.

> Then, of course, the mailing list will be flooded with lots of "newbies"
> who have found out about this nifty new environment variable and who
> 1) have an older version of gcc which doesn't understand it, 2)
> have makefiles
> which add the .exe file explicitly, or 3) are facing in the wrong
> direction
> and are unable to see the computer screen.

[1] they would be on the same situation we are today: they'd like not to
have the .exe appended, but would have to tweak makefiles for that

[2] these should work with no changes, since they are supposedly able to
handle executables with the .exe suffix

[3] these should be killed. Slowly ;)

Regards,

Andre
--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

* Re: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me         (a.exe now)
@ 2000-01-14 10:16           ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-01-14 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Oliveira da Costa; +Cc: rbh00, cygwin

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 02:41:40PM -0200, Andre Oliveira da Costa wrote:
>> If such a patch as this goes forward, am I right that the implicit
>> make(1) rules will be changed at the same time gcc and/or binutils is
>> changed?  I mean that
>> 	make hello
>> would by default produce the file "hello" rather than "hello.exe".
>
>Yep. Going a step further, every rule that is meant to produce an executable
>file, like:
>
>foo: $(OBJS)
>	gcc -o $@ $^
>
>would produce an executable (binary) file named "foo", and not "foo.exe"

We were talking about having gcc understand an environment variable or
command line switch causing it to avoid producing a .exe extension.  It
is not going to be the default.  Nothing is going to change unless you
set this.

Then, of course, the mailing list will be flooded with lots of "newbies"
who have found out about this nifty new environment variable and who
1) have an older version of gcc which doesn't understand it, 2) have makefiles
which add the .exe file explicitly, or 3) are facing in the wrong direction
and are unable to see the computer screen.

cgf

* RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me         (a.exe now)
@ 2000-01-14  8:41         ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 2000-01-14  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rbh00; +Cc: cygwin

like it happens today with the actual gcc / ld tools. This behavior
(appending ".exe" on the output file name) happens only on Windows, because
the suffix is necessary so that Windows can see the file as an executable
(another braindamage(TM) by Micro$oft). This creates a problem for UNIX
makefiles, because none of the rules consider a .exe suffix when they refer
to the executable.

> And if not, why not?  :-)

Ask Micro$oft... the .exe suffix is needed only if you have to run your
application through Windows tools (cmd.exe or Windows Explorer, for
example). If you only use your cygwin apps through bash prompt or other
cygwin apps, there's no need for the suffix. What we're proposing here is
that this suffix should only be appended when it is really needed, and this
should be controlled by environment variables.

HTH,

Andre
--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

* Re: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me         (a.exe now)
@ 2000-01-13 20:01       ` Richard Hitt
From: Richard Hitt @ 2000-01-13 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Oliveira da Costa; +Cc: cygwin

Hi all

If such a patch as this goes forward, am I right that the implicit
make(1) rules will be changed at the same time gcc and/or binutils is
changed?  I mean that
	make hello
would by default produce the file "hello" rather than "hello.exe".

And if not, why not?  :-)

Richard

@ 2000-01-13 13:44     ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 2000-01-13 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-01-13 13:19   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-01-13 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Oliveira da Costa; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin

@ 2000-01-13 13:02 ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 2000-01-13 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, cygwin

@ 2000-01-13 12:50 ` Matthew Brown
From: Matthew Brown @ 2000-01-13 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Andre Oliveira da Costa, cygwin

I could see allowing an option to drop the extension; however, most of us who do cross-platform stuff have customers on Windows who do not use shells at all. For this reason along with that thing about backward-compatibility, I would only want to see it as an option and not the default behavior.

-- Matthew Brown

@ 2000-01-13 12:47     ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 2000-01-13 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I didn't mean I had an alternative in mind, and I was not suggesting a
specific course of action. I just wanted to start some discussion to see if
some ideas were proposed.

What I said about the file tools (cp, mv, install etc.) is that if they were
able to understand that a missing "foo" file shouldn't be treated as an
error if there was a "foo.exe" file would solve the problem as for their use
in makefiles. But, it's clearly not a good idea (and I said that on my
email) because you have many drawbacks such as loss of control (this
aliasing foo = foo.exe would probably create more problems than solutions)
and performance (there would be an overhead of extra checks for missing
files situations).

Don't get me wrong: I love cygwin, and I think you guys do an amazing work.
I use it a lot at work, and it's extremely useful to me. The only purpose of
this discussion is to try to make it an even better tool, not to create
problems for no reason.

Best regards,

Andre

* RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me         (a.exe now)
@ 2000-01-13 12:32 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-01-13 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Oliveira da Costa, cygwin

@ 2000-01-13 11:57   ` Chris Faylor