* Cygwin version control location
@ 2021-01-17  5:01 Kyle Marek
From: Kyle Marek @ 2021-01-17  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

Where are the version control repositories for packages missing from
https://cygwin.com/git/ and https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ like
bash and git?

Thank you,
Kyle Marek

* Re: Cygwin version control location
@ 2021-01-17  5:56 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-01-17  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17.01.2021 06:01, Kyle Marek via Cygwin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where are the version control repositories for packages missing from
> https://cygwin.com/git/ and https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ like
> bash and git?
>
> Thank you,
> Kyle Marek

use the source packages.

The version control is not implemented or updated for most of the packages.

I am slowing moving mine to the central repository
at https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/

* Re: Cygwin version control location
@ 2021-01-17  6:31   ` Kyle Marek
From: Kyle Marek @ 2021-01-17  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/17/21 12:56 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> On 17.01.2021 06:01, Kyle Marek via Cygwin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Where are the version control repositories for packages missing from
>> https://cygwin.com/git/ and https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/
>> like bash and git?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Kyle Marek
>

> use the source packages.
>
> The version control is not implemented or updated for most of the
> packages.
>
> I am slowing moving mine to the central repository
> at https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/

Is there an archive of previous versions?

* Re: Cygwin version control location
@ 2021-01-17  7:04     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-01-17  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17.01.2021 07:31, Kyle Marek via Cygwin wrote:
> On 1/17/21 12:56 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 17.01.2021 06:01, Kyle Marek via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Where are the version control repositories for packages missing from
>>> https://cygwin.com/git/ and https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/
>>> like bash and git?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Kyle Marek
>>

>> use the source packages.
>>
>> The version control is not implemented or updated for most of the
>> packages.
>>
>> I am slowing moving mine to the central repository
>> at https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/
>

> Is there an archive of previous versions?

any mirror should have several previous releases
each one with its own source package

EG with a mirror near me in Germany:
ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/x86_64/release/bash/

Datei:bash-4.4.11-2-src.tar.xz
	9166 KB 	23.01.2017 	01:00:00
Datei:bash-4.4.12-3-src.tar.xz
	9168 KB 	27.01.2017 	01:00:00
Datei:bash-4.4.5-1-src.tar.xz
	9163 KB 	13.12.2016 	01:00:00

Regards
Marco

* Re: Cygwin version control location
@ 2021-01-17 15:00 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2021-01-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Marek; +Cc: Cygwin (cygwin@cygwin.com)

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 05:01, Kyle Marek wrote:
> Where are the version control repositories for packages missing from
> https://cygwin.com/git/ and https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ like
> bash and git?

Quoting my response to someone asking a similar question back in
December (https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2020-December/247042.html
for the full context):

> There's no obligation or expectation that package
> maintainers make their source code available in any way other than
> through providing a source package. Some do provide a public
> repository and make it readily available, but I would not be at all
> surprised if some maintainers – particularly for packages that don't
> get many upstream updates – don't use version control at all.

For what it's worth, the Git repository is at
https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git; I'm vaguely planning on
mirroring it at https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ at some point
in the future, but setting that up is fairly low on my priority list.

Adam

* Re: Cygwin version control location
@ 2021-01-17 17:31     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-01-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-01-16 23:31, Kyle Marek via Cygwin wrote:
> On 1/17/21 12:56 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 17.01.2021 06:01, Kyle Marek via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Where are the version control repositories for packages missing from
>>> https://cygwin.com/git/ and https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/ like bash
>>> and git?

>> use the source packages.
>>
>> The version control is not implemented or updated for most of the packages.
>>
>> I am slowing moving mine to the central repository
>> at https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/

> Is there an archive of previous versions?

Cygwin Time Machine retains setup (including source) packages only, not
guaranteed to have every version, not a browsable file repo, organized by
setup.ini timestamp, with associated Cygwin Setup Program versions available:

http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

Cygwin 64 back 7 years to 2013:

http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/index.html

Cygwin 32 back 22 years to 1998 (works on Windows '95/'98 pre-1.7 and NT):

http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/index.html