* Asciidoc failure due to Python versioning
@ 2021-02-09 11:42 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2021-02-09 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (cygwin@cygwin.com)

Hi,

As part of the Cygwin Git builds, I've started seeing a failure from AsciiDoc:

    ASCIIDOC git-bisect-lk2009.html
  File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 101
    except KeyError, k: raise AttributeError, k
                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

It looks like the issue is that AsciiDoc requires Python 2, but only
specifies "/usr/bin/env python" in its shebang, and Cygwin Python now
defaults to using Python 3 at that path.

For now I can work around this locally, but I suspect the longer-term
solution will be to update AsciiDoc so it specifies the version of
Python it needs in the shebang. This might already be the case for
upstream AsciiDoc – I've not checked – but I do note AsciiDoc is
currently orphaned; the latest Cygwin version is v8.6.9, released in
2013, whereas the latest version is v9.0.5, released in January 2021.
I'm going to have a quick play to see if it's feasible for me to adopt
the package, but I don't want to make any commitments there; if anyone
else is keen to adopt it, please go ahead!

Adam

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-02-09 11:43 UTC | newest]