* Cygwin Setup - Post Install Script Errors Unknown Package bash.sh exit code 1
@ 2012-04-05 13:47 Family Moreno
From: Family Moreno @ 2012-04-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I reccently wanted to start learning how to code. I bought a book which led me to the cygwin site.

It asked for me to install using the setup.exe and to also select the gcc core: C compiler, which I did. At the end of the installation I received an error or sorts.

It stated:

Posinstall Script Error
Package: Unknown Package
                bash.sh exit code 1.

As far as I can see it installed correctly either way. I can open the cygwin terminal and it works fine.

From there it said to run:

gcc hello.c

But when I do I get an error on the terminal saying:
gcc: no file or directory found
gcc: no input file

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling. I disabled my AV. I have added
c:\cygwin\bin to my Windows PATH using an elevated command prompt.

Thanks in advance, I am totally new to programming and I'm not even sure if I
navigated the Cygwin page correctly, but I did try my best.

-Bernardo

* Re: Cygwin Setup - Post Install Script Errors Unknown Package bash.sh exit code 1
@ 2012-04-05 14:08 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2012-04-05 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Family Moreno wrote:

> From there it said to run:
>
> gcc hello.c
>
> But when I do I get an error on the terminal saying:
> gcc: no file or directory found
> gcc: no input file

Surely this wasn't the next step?!  You must create a file called
hello.c first.  If the book didn't tell you to create the file named
hello.c use it a fuel in the fire place and go get a different author
to learn from.

> I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling. I disabled my AV. I have added
> c:\cygwin\bin to my Windows PATH using an elevated command prompt.

Usually not a need to do either of these.

Be sure to review:

--
Earnie