* Question about kill
@ 2012-05-04  9:24 eric_justin_allan
From: eric_justin_allan @ 2012-05-04  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey I'm not sure what version of cygwin I am using but I can't seem to
kill a server program with kill and I was hoping someone here might be
able to shine some light on the subject.

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-04 11:51 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-05-04 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/4/2012 2:25 PM, eric_justin_allan@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> Hey I'm not sure what version of cygwin I am using

see
  uname -a

> but I can't seem to
> kill a server program with kill and I was hoping someone here might be
> able to shine some light on the subject.

cygwin program or MS program ?
cygwin kill is for cygwin programs.

Usually
   kill -9 your_program_name

works very well

> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
for further reading

Regards
Marco

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-04 12:10   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-05-04 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May  4 13:51, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 5/4/2012 2:25 PM, eric_justin_allan@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> >Hey I'm not sure what version of cygwin I am using
>
> see
>  uname -a
>
> >but I can't seem to
> >kill a server program with kill and I was hoping someone here might be
> >able to shine some light on the subject.
>
> cygwin program or MS program ?
> cygwin kill is for cygwin programs.
>
> Usually
>   kill -9 your_program_name
>
> works very well

Additionally check if you have the permissions to kill the process.  If
you're running under an admin account on Vista and later, make sure to
run the shell with full permissions ("run as administrator").

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-04 12:11   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2012-05-04 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 05/04/2012 05:51 AM, marco atzeri wrote:

> Usually
>   kill -9 your_program_name
>
> works very well

Usually 'kill -9 your_program' is overkill; it forcefully terminates the
program with SIGKILL, which means the program has no chance to clean up
after itself, and can leave your file system in a mess for the next time
you attempt to run the program.  You should reserve this for a
last-ditch effort, only after the nicer 'kill your_program' (SIGTERM) or
'kill -s INT' (SIGINT) both result in no action.

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-04 12:16     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-05-04 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/4/2012 2:11 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 05:51 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
>

>> Usually
>>    kill -9 your_program_name
>>
>> works very well
>
> Usually 'kill -9 your_program' is overkill; it forcefully terminates the
> program with SIGKILL, which means the program has no chance to clean up
> after itself, and can leave your file system in a mess for the next time
> you attempt to run the program.  You should reserve this for a
> last-ditch effort, only after the nicer 'kill your_program' (SIGTERM) or
> 'kill -s INT' (SIGINT) both result in no action.

I had the impression he needs the last resort...

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-04 13:05       ` eric_justin_allan
From: eric_justin_allan @ 2012-05-04 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well kill program_name didn't work and kill -9 is pretty much what I am
looking for.
Does it matter if you are gonna overwrite the program if you use kill -9?

marco atzeri wrote:
> On 5/4/2012 2:11 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 05/04/2012 05:51 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
>>

>>> Usually
>>>    kill -9 your_program_name
>>>
>>> works very well
>>
>> Usually 'kill -9 your_program' is overkill; it forcefully terminates the
>> program with SIGKILL, which means the program has no chance to clean up
>> after itself, and can leave your file system in a mess for the next time
>> you attempt to run the program.  You should reserve this for a
>> last-ditch effort, only after the nicer 'kill your_program' (SIGTERM) or
>> 'kill -s INT' (SIGINT) both result in no action.
>>

> I had the impression he needs the last resort...
>
> --

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-05 11:35         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-05-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric_justin_allan, cygwin

Greetings, eric_justin_allan@cfl.rr.com!

> Well kill program_name didn't work and kill -9 is pretty much what I am
> looking for.
> Does it matter if you are gonna overwrite the program if you use kill -9?

You have to answer it for yourself.
Do your program write any critical state chages to a disk, when exits or at
any point in process? Is it writing logs?

And, please, don't top-post.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-05 19:07           ` eric_justin_allan
From: eric_justin_allan @ 2012-05-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, eric_justin_allan@cfl.rr.com!
>
>> Well kill program_name didn't work and kill -9 is pretty much what I am
>> looking for.
>> Does it matter if you are gonna overwrite the program if you use kill -9?
> You have to answer it for yourself.
> Do your program write any critical state chages to a disk, when exits or at
> any point in process? Is it writing logs?
>
> And, please, don't top-post.
>

> --
> WBR,
> Andrey Repin (anrdaemon@freemail.ru) 05.05.2012,<15:24>
>
> Sorry for my terrible english...

Why can't I top post?

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-05 20:18             ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-05-05 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/6/2012 12:08 AM, eric_justin_allan@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, eric_justin_allan@cfl.rr.com!
>>
>>> Well kill program_name didn't work and kill -9 is pretty much what I am
>>> looking for.
>>> Does it matter if you are gonna overwrite the program if you use kill
>>> -9?
>> You have to answer it for yourself.
>> Do your program write any critical state chages to a disk, when exits
>> or at
>> any point in process? Is it writing logs?
>>
>> And, please, don't top-post.
>>

>> --
>> WBR,
>> Andrey Repin (anrdaemon@freemail.ru) 05.05.2012,<15:24>
>>
>> Sorry for my terrible english...
>>

> Why can't I top post?

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

* Re: Question about kill
@ 2012-05-06  3:30               ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2012-05-06  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 5/6/2012 12:08 AM, eric_justin_allan wrote:
>> Why can't I top post?
>>

> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

See also http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

And also trimming the quote is always good.

--
Earnie