Updating cygwin yesterday broke several of my scripts. Turns out this was because they have /bin before /usr/bin in their PATH exported to child processes which broke latex. To reproduce: env PATH=/bin:"$PATH" latex manual.tex Seems that the latex related symlinks in /bin do not function. Putting /usr/bin in the path first fixes this. Having /bin in the path on my previous 1.7 install worked fine. It has been several months since I updated my cygwin install though. Both the current and previous texlive installs available via setup.exe fail in the same way. Seems that the links in /bin should be removed. cygcheck -s -v -r output attached.