Hi, I had previously reported this issue as "Possible phantom control-key state..." I observe that moving between cygwin mintty windows and Windows windows causes unexpected behavior in the cygwin world. I took a new approach, using vi :) . In cygwin, I open a new file, enter insert mode, hit Ctrl-V, and mouse out of the window. When I mouse back into the cygwin edit window, my screen contains the display string "^[[O" (note that the "^[" is vi-speak for "esc"). Examining the resulting file with od shows: > od -ah fdsa 0000000 esc [ O nl 5b1b 0a4f Here, the nl character is inserted by vi. This smells like an incomplete escape sequence. If it's left at the command line, just waiting for the user to type something, there might be trouble. Am I completely off? Thanks, Eric Adams.