* Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-03  6:38 Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2014-06-03  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all

In order to pinpoint an error I'm trying to compile cygwin1.dll from
source following the instructions here:
https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin. However,
when building binutils, I trip over this error:
https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-02/msg00064.html. According to
DJ (https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-02/msg00067.html),
"attempts to build the old binutils/gdb in CVS are going to be
doomed". Apparently the development of these packages is now tracked
in a separate git repo. So, my question is now, how do I get a working
build for the cygwin DLL? Do I have to replace binutils/gdb in the CVS
checkout with the git checkout?

How are the current snapshots built?

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction.

Michael

* Re: Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-03 10:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-06-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Wild, cygwin

Greetings, Michael Wild!

> In order to pinpoint an error I'm trying to compile cygwin1.dll from
> source following the instructions here:

My question is: do you actually need to rebuild it, or you just need the debug
symbols?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-03 12:58   ` Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2014-06-03 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Michael Wild!
>
>> In order to pinpoint an error I'm trying to compile cygwin1.dll from
>> source following the instructions here:
>
> My question is: do you actually need to rebuild it, or you just need the debug
> symbols?
>
>> https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin. However,
>> when building binutils, I trip over this error:
>> https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-02/msg00064.html. According to
>> DJ (https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-02/msg00067.html),
>> "attempts to build the old binutils/gdb in CVS are going to be
>> doomed". Apparently the development of these packages is now tracked
>> in a separate git repo. So, my question is now, how do I get a working
>> build for the cygwin DLL? Do I have to replace binutils/gdb in the CVS
>> checkout with the git checkout?
>
>> How are the current snapshots built?
>
>> Thanks for any pointers in the right direction.

Dear Andrey,

I really need to build it, in order to pinpoint which commit breaks things.

Michael

* Re: Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-03 16:08     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-06-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/03/2014 08:57 AM, Michael Wild wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Michael Wild!
>>
>>> In order to pinpoint an error I'm trying to compile cygwin1.dll from
>>> source following the instructions here:
>>
>> My question is: do you actually need to rebuild it, or you just need the debug
>> symbols?
>>
>>> https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin. However,
>>> when building binutils, I trip over this error:
>>> https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-02/msg00064.html. According to
>>> DJ (https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-02/msg00067.html),
>>> "attempts to build the old binutils/gdb in CVS are going to be
>>> doomed". Apparently the development of these packages is now tracked
>>> in a separate git repo. So, my question is now, how do I get a working
>>> build for the cygwin DLL? Do I have to replace binutils/gdb in the CVS
>>> checkout with the git checkout?
>>
>>> How are the current snapshots built?
>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers in the right direction.
>

> Dear Andrey,
>
> I really need to build it, in order to pinpoint which commit breaks things.

OK but why are you building 'binutils' if you just want to build the Cygwin
DLL?

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

* Re: Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-04 14:45       ` Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2014-06-04 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 06/03/2014 08:57 AM, Michael Wild wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings, Michael Wild!

>>> My question is: do you actually need to rebuild it, or you just need the
>>> debug
>>> symbols?

>> Dear Andrey,
>>
>> I really need to build it, in order to pinpoint which commit breaks
>> things.
>

> OK but why are you building 'binutils' if you just want to build the Cygwin
> DLL?
>

> --
> Larry

You tell me. I just checked out the source and followed the
instructions as I said in my first message. When doing so, there is a
dependency and binutils gets built.

If the instructions are outdated, I did something obviously wrong, or
there is a better way, please let me know.

Michael

* Re: Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-04 17:35         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-06-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Wild, cygwin

Greetings, Michael Wild!

> You tell me. I just checked out the source and followed the
> instructions as I said in my first message. When doing so, there is a
> dependency and binutils gets built.

> If the instructions are outdated, I did something obviously wrong, or
> there is a better way, please let me know.

I've used this script to rebuild it.

#!/bin/sh
SUITE_ROOT=/c/dev/sdc1/cygwin
BUILD_PATH="$SUITE_ROOT/build"
INSTALL_PATH="$SUITE_ROOT/install"
BUILD_MODULE="$SUITE_ROOT/src${PWD##$BUILD_PATH}"

{
"$BUILD_MODULE/configure" -v --prefix="$INSTALL_PATH"
LANG=C make
} |& tee rebuild.log

Checked out the repository into $SUITE_ROOT/src, recreated the necessary paths
in $SUITE_ROOT/build and restarted the script from certain paths until I
succeed in building required portions of suite. (I was mainly intersted in
winsup.)

--

@ 2014-06-04 19:19           ` Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2014-06-04 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Michael Wild!
>
>> You tell me. I just checked out the source and followed the
>> instructions as I said in my first message. When doing so, there is a
>> dependency and binutils gets built.
>
>> If the instructions are outdated, I did something obviously wrong, or
>> there is a better way, please let me know.
>
> I've used this script to rebuild it.

> #!/bin/sh
> SUITE_ROOT=/c/dev/sdc1/cygwin
> BUILD_PATH="$SUITE_ROOT/build"
> INSTALL_PATH="$SUITE_ROOT/install"
> BUILD_MODULE="$SUITE_ROOT/src${PWD##$BUILD_PATH}"
>
> {
> "$BUILD_MODULE/configure" -v --prefix="$INSTALL_PATH"
> LANG=C make
> } |& tee rebuild.log
>
> Checked out the repository into $SUITE_ROOT/src, recreated the necessary paths
> in $SUITE_ROOT/build and restarted the script from certain paths until I
> succeed in building required portions of suite. (I was mainly intersted in
> winsup.)

Hi Andrey Repin

Many thanks. So you are saying, you never used the top-level build
system? That would explain a lot. So it is just an iterative trial and
error process? Way to go...

Cheers

Michael

* Re: Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-04 20:05             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-06-04 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Wild, cygwin

Greetings, Michael Wild!

> Many thanks. So you are saying, you never used the top-level build
> system?

I don't NEED to rebuild whole toolchain to begin with.
And it takes about half an hour just to configure it on my system. Or at least
half an hour up to first error, which I'm unable to get much sense from, since
I'm no expert in bird languages.

> That would explain a lot. So it is just an iterative trial and
> error process? Way to go...

For me, it was. YMMV.

--

@ 2014-06-04 21:07               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-06-04 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:55:32PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
>Greetings, Michael Wild!
>
>> Many thanks. So you are saying, you never used the top-level build
>> system?
>
>I don't NEED to rebuild whole toolchain to begin with.

If you follow the instructions for checking out cygwin you shouldn't HAVE the whole
toolchain.

cgf

* Re: Compiling cygwin1.dll
@ 2014-06-05  4:56                 ` Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2014-06-05  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:55:32PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>Greetings, Michael Wild!
>>
>>> Many thanks. So you are saying, you never used the top-level build
>>> system?
>>
>>I don't NEED to rebuild whole toolchain to begin with.
>
> If you follow the instructions for checking out cygwin you shouldn't HAVE the whole
> toolchain.
>
> cgf

AHA! I must have blundered when performing the CVS checkout.
Annoyingly confusing old thing...

Anyways, many thanks for all your help!

Michael