* Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-18 19:12 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-18 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

We are contemplating releasing an interim 1.7.29 which does
not incorporate Corinna's revamping of Cygwin's uid/gid handling.

So, please check out snapshots, paying particular attention to the
non-passwd/group parts of this file:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/release/1.7.29?rev=1.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=src

We'd like to release a 1.7.29 in the next couple of days so testing
feedback is appreciated.

cgf

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-19 13:38 ` Bengt Larsson
From: Bengt Larsson @ 2014-02-19 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>We are contemplating releasing an interim 1.7.29 which does
>not incorporate Corinna's revamping of Cygwin's uid/gid handling.
>
>So, please check out snapshots, paying particular attention to the
>non-passwd/group parts of this file:
>
>http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/release/1.7.29?rev=1.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=src
>
>We'd like to release a 1.7.29 in the next couple of days so testing
>feedback is appreciated.

Tested the 64 bit DLL only:

) - Allow quoting of arguments to the CYGWIN environment variable, i.e.,
)   set CYGWIN=error_start="c:\bin\someprogram -T"

I tested it with what I use as 'CYGWIN="glob:ignorecase"' and that
works.

) - Try harder to do the right thing in the presence of console screen
buffers,
)   i.e., never clear the screen buffer unless the user asked for it.
Also
)   fix screen escape sequences which attempted to scroll the screen.
)   Addresses: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/threads.html#00274

I start a console window, set the buffer to 1100 lines, display a lot in
it. Start bash, type ^L: the console window resizes to be only one line.
Same result if bash was started first, then display data, then ^L.

)
) - Make "ps -W" report different WINPIDs for processes that have been
execed
)   from, e.g., cmd.
)   Addresses: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/threads.html#00382

I have not found any duplicate processes. That thread reference isn't
particularly useful: I had to search the archives.

) - Avoid error messages from the signal handler if we're exiting.
)   Addresses: A random irc #cygwin complaint.

Not tested.

I'm always wary about testing more than the DLL because I'm not
absolutely sure how to back out of it.

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-19 14:31   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:52:58PM +0100, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>We are contemplating releasing an interim 1.7.29 which does
>>not incorporate Corinna's revamping of Cygwin's uid/gid handling.
>>
>>So, please check out snapshots, paying particular attention to the
>>non-passwd/group parts of this file:
>>
>>http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/release/1.7.29?rev=1.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=src
>>
>>We'd like to release a 1.7.29 in the next couple of days so testing
>>feedback is appreciated.
>
>Tested the 64 bit DLL only:
>
>) - Allow quoting of arguments to the CYGWIN environment variable, i.e.,
>)   set CYGWIN=error_start="c:\bin\someprogram -T"
>
>I tested it with what I use as 'CYGWIN="glob:ignorecase"' and that
>works.
>
>) - Try harder to do the right thing in the presence of console screen
>buffers,
>)   i.e., never clear the screen buffer unless the user asked for it.
>Also
>)   fix screen escape sequences which attempted to scroll the screen.
>)   Addresses: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/threads.html#00274
>
>I start a console window, set the buffer to 1100 lines, display a lot in
>it. Start bash, type ^L: the console window resizes to be only one line.
>Same result if bash was started first, then display data, then ^L.

Huh.  That's a bad bug.  Thanks for reporting.  That's not something we'd
want to see in a release.

What Windows version are you running?

>)
>) - Make "ps -W" report different WINPIDs for processes that have been
>execed
>)   from, e.g., cmd.
>)   Addresses: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/threads.html#00382
>
>I have not found any duplicate processes. That thread reference isn't
>particularly useful: I had to search the archives.

If you do:

bash -c "exec sleep 3600"

You'd see two processes in "ps -W" but only one in "ps -ef".

>) - Avoid error messages from the signal handler if we're exiting.
>)   Addresses: A random irc #cygwin complaint.
>
>Not tested.

There is no easy way to test this so that's fine.

>I'm always wary about testing more than the DLL because I'm not
>absolutely sure how to back out of it.

I should have made it clear that just the dll needs to be tested
although, if you were so inclined, you could also test the new
minidump process that Jon Turney just introduced.  That needs
to be added to the release notes so there is no way that most
people would know about it.

@ 2014-02-19 15:05     ` Bengt Larsson
From: Bengt Larsson @ 2014-02-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:52:58PM +0100, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>>I start a console window, set the buffer to 1100 lines, display a lot in
>>it. Start bash, type ^L: the console window resizes to be only one line.
>>Same result if bash was started first, then display data, then ^L.
>
>Huh.  That's a bad bug.  Thanks for reporting.  That's not something we'd
>want to see in a release.
>
>What Windows version are you running?

Windows 7.

>>)
>>) - Make "ps -W" report different WINPIDs for processes that have been
>>execed
>>)   from, e.g., cmd.
>>)   Addresses: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/threads.html#00382
>>
>>I have not found any duplicate processes. That thread reference isn't
>>particularly useful: I had to search the archives.
>
>If you do:
>
>bash -c "exec sleep 3600"
>
>You'd see two processes in "ps -W" but only one in "ps -ef".

That seems so. ps -W:

     4504       1    4504       4504  cons0   1001 15:46:40
/usr/bin/sleep
     4504       1    4504       2312  cons0   1001 15:46:40
/usr/bin/sleep

ps -ef:

   Bengt    4504       1 cons0    15:46:40 /usr/bin/sleep

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-19 20:41 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2014-02-19 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 18.02.2014 20:08, schrieb Christopher Faylor:
> We are contemplating releasing an interim 1.7.29 which does
> not incorporate Corinna's revamping of Cygwin's uid/gid handling.
>
> So, please check out snapshots, paying particular attention to the
> non-passwd/group parts of this file:
>
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/release/1.7.29?rev=1.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=src
>
> We'd like to release a 1.7.29 in the next couple of days so testing
> feedback is appreciated.
Not specific to this snapshot but it happens when trying to test it:
If a cygwin console is started from a cygwin terminal (e.g. in mintty:
cygstart /Cygwin.bat), the TERM variable is set incorrectly.
Suggested fix: add either set TERM=cygwin or unset TERM to Cygwin.bat.
------
Thomas

---

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-19 22:53   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-19 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

> Not specific to this snapshot but it happens when trying to test it:
> If a cygwin console is started from a cygwin terminal (e.g. in mintty:
> cygstart /Cygwin.bat), the TERM variable is set incorrectly.
> Suggested fix: ... unset TERM to Cygwin.bat.

unset would be better (more neutral) choice in a long-term, IMO.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-19 22:55     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2014-02-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 19.02.2014 23:24, schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
>
>> Not specific to this snapshot but it happens when trying to test it:
>> If a cygwin console is started from a cygwin terminal (e.g. in mintty:
>> cygstart /Cygwin.bat), the TERM variable is set incorrectly.
>> Suggested fix: ... unset TERM to Cygwin.bat.
> unset would be better (more neutral) choice in a long-term, IMO.
Actually, unset doesn't exist in cmd (blush).
It should be "set TERM=" then.

---

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-20  1:42       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-20  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

>>> Not specific to this snapshot but it happens when trying to test it:
>>> If a cygwin console is started from a cygwin terminal (e.g. in mintty:
>>> cygstart /Cygwin.bat), the TERM variable is set incorrectly.
>>> Suggested fix: ... unset TERM to Cygwin.bat.
>> unset would be better (more neutral) choice in a long-term, IMO.
> Actually, unset doesn't exist in cmd (blush).
> It should be "set TERM=" then.

However you spell it :)
Using same assignment in shell would have nearly equal results.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Console buffer jumble
@ 2014-02-20  2:05 Steven Penny
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-02-20  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I found a problem with the new snapshots. If you

1. start Cygwin with "Cygwin.bat"
2. enter "man bash"
3. enter down arrow then up arrow, or Page Down then Page Up

Normally this would just scroll through the man page. However with these new
snapshots it is creating a jumble in the console, notice the username mixed in
with the output of "man"

BASH(1)                     General Commands Manual                    BASH(1)

Steven@Steven-PC ~
$ man bash
BASH(1)                     General Commands Manual                    BASH(1)

NAME
       bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell

SYNOPSIS
       bash [options] [file]

These are the versions affected

    20140219  BAD
    20140218  BAD
    20140217  BAD
    20140216  BAD
    20140213  GOOD

This issue is mirrored with the MSYS2 project
http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/tickets/23

* Re: Console buffer jumble
@ 2014-02-20  8:36 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-20  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Penny!

> I found a problem with the new snapshots. If you

> 1. start Cygwin with "Cygwin.bat"
> 2. enter "man bash"
> 3. enter down arrow then up arrow, or Page Down then Page Up

> Normally this would just scroll through the man page. However with these new
> snapshots it is creating a jumble in the console, notice the username mixed in
> with the output of "man"

Gotta confirm this.
Only reproducible in native NT console, though.

--

@ 2014-02-20 18:58       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-20 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 03:52:37PM +0100, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:52:58PM +0100, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>>>I start a console window, set the buffer to 1100 lines, display a lot in
>>>it. Start bash, type ^L: the console window resizes to be only one line.
>>>Same result if bash was started first, then display data, then ^L.
>>
>>Huh.  That's a bad bug.  Thanks for reporting.  That's not something we'd
>>want to see in a release.
>>
>>What Windows version are you running?
>
>Windows 7.

I forgot to mention that I managed to duplicate this problem and am working
on a fix for this and the other screen garbling seen in recent snapshots.

Thanks again for testing/reporting.

@ 2014-02-20 20:08         ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-02-20 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I forgot to mention that I managed to duplicate this problem and am working
> on a fix for this and the other screen garbling seen in recent snapshots.

Hm, with luck maybe that will also fix the recent garbled screen problem in
screen(1):

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-20 22:50           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-20 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 02:30:50PM -0500, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> I forgot to mention that I managed to duplicate this problem and am working
>> on a fix for this and the other screen garbling seen in recent snapshots.
>
>Hm, with luck maybe that will also fix the recent garbled screen problem in
>screen(1):

Nope.

@ 2014-02-21  7:50         ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2014-02-21  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 20.02.2014 02:26, schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

>>> unset would be better (more neutral) choice in a long-term, IMO.
>> Actually, unset doesn't exist in cmd (blush).
>> It should be "set TERM=" then.
> However you spell it :)
> Using same assignment in shell would have nearly equal results.
Having something like case `tty` in /dev/cons*) TERM=cygwin;; esac in
/etc/profile would be a clumsy workaround and possibly have tricky glitches.
My proposal catches the issue at its root in the simplest way.
I would provide a patch (if needed) if I had an idea in which package
Cygwin.bat is hiding;-)
------
Thomas

---

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-21  8:13           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-21  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

>>> Actually, unset doesn't exist in cmd (blush).
>>> It should be "set TERM=" then.
>> However you spell it :)
>> Using same assignment in shell would have nearly equal results.
> Having something like case `tty` in /dev/cons*) TERM=cygwin;; esac in
> /etc/profile would be a clumsy workaround and possibly have tricky glitches.

Except not every shell read /etc/profile

> My proposal catches the issue at its root in the simplest way.
> I would provide a patch (if needed) if I had an idea in which package
> Cygwin.bat is hiding;-)

It's autogenerated.

--

@ 2014-02-21  8:53             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-02-21  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 21 11:49, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

> >> However you spell it :)
> >> Using same assignment in shell would have nearly equal results.
> > Having something like case `tty` in /dev/cons*) TERM=cygwin;; esac in
> > /etc/profile would be a clumsy workaround and possibly have tricky glitches.
>
> Except not every shell read /etc/profile
>
> > My proposal catches the issue at its root in the simplest way.
> > I would provide a patch (if needed) if I had an idea in which package
> > Cygwin.bat is hiding;-)
>
> It's autogenerated.

...by setup itself.  Changing this would require to create a new setup.
Is it worth it?  I mean, how often do people start Cygwin.bat from
mintty?  I never occured to me to do that at all :}
And if so, why not just call it like this:

  $ TERM=cygwin cygstart /Cygwin.bat

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-21 12:54               ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-21 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> > Having something like case `tty` in /dev/cons*) TERM=cygwin;; esac in
>> > /etc/profile would be a clumsy workaround and possibly have tricky glitches.
>>
>> Except not every shell read /etc/profile
>>
>> > My proposal catches the issue at its root in the simplest way.
>> > I would provide a patch (if needed) if I had an idea in which package
>> > Cygwin.bat is hiding;-)
>>
>> It's autogenerated.

> ...by setup itself.  Changing this would require to create a new setup.
> Is it worth it?

It's not a priority, but something that needs fix.

> I mean, how often do people start Cygwin.bat from
> mintty?  I never occured to me to do that at all :}
> And if so, why not just call it like this:

>   $ TERM=cygwin cygstart /Cygwin.bat

For that, you need to know, that you need to do it this way.

--

@ 2014-02-21 14:55                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-21 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 04:17:11PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:

>>> Except not every shell read /etc/profile

>>> It's autogenerated.
>
>> ...by setup itself.  Changing this would require to create a new setup.
>> Is it worth it?
>
>It's not a priority, but something that needs fix.
>
>> I mean, how often do people start Cygwin.bat from
>> mintty?  I never occured to me to do that at all :}
>> And if so, why not just call it like this:
>
>>   $ TERM=cygwin cygstart /Cygwin.bat
>
>For that, you need to know, that you need to do it this way.

Can we PLEASE move this to another thread?  This has nothing to do with the
purpose of this thread.

cgf

* Re: Console buffer jumble
@ 2014-02-25 21:06 ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-02-25 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> I found a problem with the new snapshots. If you
>
> 1. start Cygwin with "Cygwin.bat"
> 2. enter "man bash"
> 3. enter Page Down then Page Up

This is still happening with 2014-02-24 snapshot.

* Re: Console buffer jumble
@ 2014-02-27 17:07 ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-02-27 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> I found a problem with the new snapshots. If you
>
> 1. start Cygwin with "Cygwin.bat"
> 2. enter "man bash"
> 3. enter down arrow then up arrow, or Page Down then Page Up

Looks like 2014-02-27 snapshot fixed it.

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-27 18:23         ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2014-02-27 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Christopher Faylor (Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:11:39 -0500)
> I forgot to mention that I managed to duplicate this problem and am
> working on a fix for this and the other screen garbling seen in
> recent snapshots.

Reporting a possibly related bug in connection with the latest
snapshots: connecting to a Byobu session with GNU screen backend via
ssh has the effect that everything in the last line will not be
output.

If I change the GNU screen backend to tmux the effect goes away. The
main difference between GNU screen and tmux is that GNU screen uses a
caption line additionally to the hard status (so in effect
"occupies" two lines at the bottom:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Byobu#Status_and_Caption_Lines )

Reverting to the last non snapshot cygwin1.dll resolves the issue.

Thorsten

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-27 21:18           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-27 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 07:14:49PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>* Christopher Faylor (Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:11:39 -0500)
>> I forgot to mention that I managed to duplicate this problem and am
>> working on a fix for this and the other screen garbling seen in
>> recent snapshots.
>
>Reporting a possibly related bug in connection with the latest
>snapshots: connecting to a Byobu session with GNU screen backend via
>ssh has the effect that everything in the last line will not be
>output.

Sorry but I have no idea what Byobu is or what it means to be backed by
ssh.  ssh normally uses ptys which don't touch any of the code that
I have been modifying.

Please see my request for information in:

I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone reporting issues would be as
absolutely detail rich as possible.

* Re: Need general snapshot testers
@ 2014-02-28 12:07             ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2014-02-28 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Christopher Faylor (Thu, 27 Feb 2014 15:26:33 -0500)
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 07:14:49PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> >* Christopher Faylor (Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:11:39 -0500)
> >> I forgot to mention that I managed to duplicate this problem and am
> >> working on a fix for this and the other screen garbling seen in
> >> recent snapshots.
> >
> >Reporting a possibly related bug in connection with the latest
> >snapshots: connecting to a Byobu session with GNU screen backend via
> >ssh has the effect that everything in the last line will not be
> >output.
>
> Sorry but I have no idea what Byobu is or what it means to be backed by
> ssh.  ssh normally uses ptys which don't touch any of the code that
> I have been modifying.
>
> Please see my request for information in:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00634.html
>
> I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone reporting issues would be as
> absolutely detail rich as possible.

Byobu is a frontend for GNU screen (or tmux). The easiest way to
reproduce it is... (Cygwin 32-bit 20140227)

1. Install byobu on the remote host: http://byobu.co/downloads.html

2. Select screen as backend:
byobu-select-backend screen

3. Run a GNU screen session on remote host via ssh:
ssh -t USER@HOST byobu

4. Press enter multiple times to reach the bottom of the screen.

5. Issue any command (ls, echo whatever) and see that there is no
visible output

Thorsten

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-09 20:38   ` Christopher Faylor
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-03-09 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 03:26:33PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 07:14:49PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>* Christopher Faylor (Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:11:39 -0500)
>>> I forgot to mention that I managed to duplicate this problem and am
>>> working on a fix for this and the other screen garbling seen in
>>> recent snapshots.
>>
>>Reporting a possibly related bug in connection with the latest
>>snapshots: connecting to a Byobu session with GNU screen backend via
>>ssh has the effect that everything in the last line will not be
>>output.
>
>Sorry but I have no idea what Byobu is or what it means to be backed by
>ssh.  ssh normally uses ptys which don't touch any of the code that
>I have been modifying.
>
>Please see my request for information in:
>
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00634.html
>
>I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone reporting issues would be as
>absolutely detail rich as possible.

There is a new snapshot available which should fix the problem with
screen status bar.

There are still issues with the console buffer and full screen apps
like vim/emacs/less.  If you scroll the buffer while in that mode
then things will get weird.  The solution so far is:  Don't do that.

I'd appreciate it if people would try the current snapshot, paying
attention to console screen issues.

cgf

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-10  4:57     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-03-10  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 03:14:32PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 03:26:33PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 07:14:49PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>>* Christopher Faylor (Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:11:39 -0500)
>>>
>>>Reporting a possibly related bug in connection with the latest
>>>snapshots: connecting to a Byobu session with GNU screen backend via
>>>ssh has the effect that everything in the last line will not be
>>>output.
>>
>>Sorry but I have no idea what Byobu is or what it means to be backed by
>>ssh.  ssh normally uses ptys which don't touch any of the code that
>>I have been modifying.
>>
>>Please see my request for information in:
>>
>>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00634.html
>>
>>I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone reporting issues would be as
>>absolutely detail rich as possible.
>
>There is a new snapshot available which should fix the problem with
>screen status bar.
>
>There are still issues with the console buffer and full screen apps
>like vim/emacs/less.  If you scroll the buffer while in that mode
>then things will get weird.  The solution so far is:  Don't do that.

This should be fixed now too.

I'd like to release a Cygwin 1.7.29 with just bugfixes soon so I would
appreciate detailed feedback on any regressions.

cgf

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-10  6:47     ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-03-10  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> There are still issues with the console buffer and full screen apps
> like vim/emacs/less.  If you scroll the buffer while in that mode
> then things will get weird.  The solution so far is:  Don't do that.

1. man bash
2. down arrow once
3. q

With stable Cygwin

    ~
    $ uname -a
    CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Steven-PC 1.7.28(0.271/5/3) 2014-02-09 21:06 x86_64 Cygwin

    ~
    $ man bash

    ~
    $

With snapshot

    ~
    $ uname -a
    CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Steven-PC 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140309 23:12:54 x86_64 Cygwin

    ~
    $ man bash

    ~
    $

Notice carefully the extra line after "man bash". If you press down more times
before "q", the problem worsens.

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-10  9:11       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-03-10  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:25:02PM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> There are still issues with the console buffer and full screen apps
>> like vim/emacs/less.  If you scroll the buffer while in that mode
>> then things will get weird.  The solution so far is:  Don't do that.
>
>1. man bash
>2. down arrow once
>3. q
>
>With stable Cygwin
>
>    ~
>    $ uname -a
>    CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Steven-PC 1.7.28(0.271/5/3) 2014-02-09 21:06 x86_64 Cygwin
>
>    ~
>    $ man bash
>
>    ~
>    $
>
>With snapshot
>
>    ~
>    $ uname -a
>    CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Steven-PC 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140309 23:12:54 x86_64 Cygwin
>
>    ~
>    $ man bash
>

>    ~
>    $

Interesting problem.  Windows always surprises.

This should be fixed in the upcoming snapshot.

cgf

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-10  9:58         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-03-10  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/03/2014 04:21, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:25:02PM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Interesting problem.  Windows always surprises.
>
> This should be fixed in the upcoming snapshot.
>
> cgf

$ uname -svr
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 03:20:19

xwin still segfaults as for

If instead you are referring to previous one

$ uname -svr
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140309 23:12:54

that is fine

Regards
Marco

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-10 11:12           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-03-10 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 10 07:46, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 10/03/2014 04:21, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:25:02PM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
> >>On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>

> >Interesting problem.  Windows always surprises.
> >
> >This should be fixed in the upcoming snapshot.
> >
> >cgf
> >

> $ uname -svr
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 03:20:19
>
> xwin still segfaults as for
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-03/msg00107.html

I just tried the latest 32 bit snapshot:

  CYGWIN_NT-6.3-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 03:20:19

and I can't reproduce this crash running startxwin.  I removed my
/etc/nsswitch.conf file to use the default settings throughout for the
passwd/group stuff for testing, but it also works fine with

  passwd: db
  group: db
  db_enum: all

What are you settings?  I also ran the same under a 64 bit Cygwin
built from CVS.  No crash either.

@ 2014-03-10 17:37     ` Bengt Larsson
From: Bengt Larsson @ 2014-03-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>There is a new snapshot available which should fix the problem with
>screen status bar.
>
>There are still issues with the console buffer and full screen apps
>like vim/emacs/less.  If you scroll the buffer while in that mode
>then things will get weird.  The solution so far is:  Don't do that.
>
>I'd appreciate it if people would try the current snapshot, paying
>attention to console screen issues.

I discovered your mail server doesn't allow *.png. Anyway:

Console is 55 lines, buffer 300 lines and the buffer is filled. ^L
in bash works as it should, but I get an artifact after less.

From console:
http://www.bengtl.net/files/fromconsole.png
From bash:
http://www.bengtl.net/files/frombash.png

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.out --]

Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Mon Mar 10 17:09:49 2014

Windows 7 Home Premium Ver 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

Path:	C:\Users\Bengt\Documents\Command
	C:\Eget\Command
	C:\Eget\Perl64\bin
	C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin
	C:\Windows\system32
	C:\Windows
	C:\Windows\System32\Wbem
	C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Output from C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\id.exe
UID: 1001(Bengt)                GID: 545(Users)
545(Users)                      513(None)
4(+INTERACTIVE)                 66049(+CONSOLE LOGON)
11(+Authenticated Users)        15(+This Organization)
4095(CurrentSession)            66048(+LOCAL)
262154(+NTLM Authentication)    401408(+Medium Mandatory Level)

SysDir: C:\Windows\system32
WinDir: C:\Windows

CYGWIN = 'glob:ignorecase'
HOME = 'C:\Eget\Home\Bengt'
Path = 'C:\Users\Bengt\Documents\Command;C:\Eget\Command;C:\Eget\Perl64\bin;C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\'

ALLUSERSPROFILE = 'C:\ProgramData'
APPDATA = 'C:\Users\Bengt\AppData\Roaming'
BINDDIR = 'C:\Eget\bind'
CommonProgramFiles = 'C:\Program Files\Common Files'
CommonProgramFiles(x86) = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files'
CommonProgramW6432 = 'C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME = 'LAPTOP2'
ComSpec = 'C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe'
CYGBIN = 'C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin'
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK = 'NO'
GZIP = '-9'
HOMEDRIVE = 'C:'
HOMEPATH = '\Users\Bengt'
INFOPATH = '/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info'
LANG = 'C.UTF-8'
LESS = '-eMc -j.5'
LOCALAPPDATA = 'C:\Users\Bengt\AppData\Local'
LOGONSERVER = '\\LAPTOP2'
MANPATH = '/c/Eget/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man:/usr/ssl/man'
MYCOMMAND = 'C:\Users\Bengt\Documents\Command'
MYDESKTOP = 'C:\Users\Bengt\Desktop'
MYDOCUMENTS = 'C:\Users\Bengt\Documents'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = '2'
OS = 'Windows_NT'
PATHEXT = '.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.PCMD;.SHCMD;.BASHCMD'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = 'AMD64'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = 'Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = '6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = '2a07'
ProgramData = 'C:\ProgramData'
ProgramFiles = 'C:\Program Files'
ProgramFiles(x86) = 'C:\Program Files (x86)'
ProgramW6432 = 'C:\Program Files'
PROMPT = '$P$G'
PSModulePath = 'C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\'
PUBLIC = 'C:\Users\Public'
SESSIONNAME = 'Console'
SHELL = '/bin/bash'
SystemDrive = 'C:'
SystemRoot = 'C:\Windows'
TEMP = 'C:\Users\Bengt\AppData\Local\Temp'
TMP = 'C:\Users\Bengt\AppData\Local\Temp'
UNZIP = '-C'
USERDOMAIN = 'Laptop2'
USERNAME = 'Bengt'
USERPROFILE = 'C:\Users\Bengt'
windir = 'C:\Windows'
windows_tracing_flags = '3'
windows_tracing_logfile = 'C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygwin\Installations
  (default) = '\??\C:\Eget\cygwin64'
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygwin\setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mg-cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mg-cygwin\OpenWithList
  (default) = 'win32pad.exe'
  MRUList = 'a'
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mg-cygwin\OpenWithProgids
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mg-cygwin-alt
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mg-cygwin-alt\OpenWithList
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs\.mg-cygwin
  (default) = (unsupported type)
  MRUListEx = (unsupported type)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.mg-cygwin
  (default) = 'mg-cygwin_auto_file'
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\mg-cygwin_auto_file
  (default) = 'Mg Cygwin init file'
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\mg-cygwin_auto_file\shell
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\mg-cygwin_auto_file\shell\open
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\mg-cygwin_auto_file\shell\open\command
  (default) = '"C:\Eget\Win32Pad\win32pad.exe" "%1"'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\Installations
  (default) = '\??\C:\Eget\cygwin64'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\setup
  (default) = 'C:\Eget\cygwin64'

obcaseinsensitive set to 1

Cygwin installations found in the registry:
  System: Key: f65bc92163f7c37a Path: C:\Eget\cygwin64
  User:   Key: f65bc92163f7c37a Path: C:\Eget\cygwin64

c:  hd  NTFS    288758Mb  53% CP CS UN PA FC     Acer

C:\Users\Bengt\Documents  /docs      user    binary,notexec,noacl
C:\Eget\cygwin64          /          system  binary,auto
C:                        /c         system  binary,notexec,noacl
D:                        /d         system  binary,notexec,noacl
C:\Eget\Home              /home      system  binary,noacl
C:\Users                  /users     system  binary,notexec,noacl
C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin      /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
C:\Eget\cygwin64\lib      /usr/lib   system  binary,auto
cygdrive prefix           /cygdrive  user    binary,posix=0,auto

Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\awk
 -> C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\gawk.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cp.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cpp.exe
Not Found: crontab
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\find.exe
Found: C:\Windows\system32\find.exe
Warning: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\find.exe hides C:\Windows\system32\find.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\gcc.exe
Not Found: gdb
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\grep.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\kill.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\make.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\mv.exe
Not Found: patch
Found: C:\Eget\Perl64\bin\perl.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\perl.exe
Warning: C:\Eget\Perl64\bin\perl.exe hides C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\perl.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\rm.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\sed.exe
Not Found: ssh
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\sh.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\tar.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\test.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\vi.exe
Found: C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\vim.exe

  575k 2013/05/30 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygarchive-13.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygarchive-13.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-30 04:06
   38k 2013/07/19 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygargp-0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygargp-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-07-19 16:07
   87k 2014/01/29 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygatomic-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygatomic-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-01-29 02:15
   16k 2013/03/26 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygattr-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygattr-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-26 18:26
   64k 2013/03/07 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygbz2-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygbz2-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-07 03:54
  117k 2013/05/05 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygcloog-isl-4.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygcloog-isl-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-05 17:41
    9k 2013/03/07 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygcrypt-0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygcrypt-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-07 10:29
 1747k 2014/02/05 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-02-05 11:49
 1526k 2013/03/08 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygdb-5.3.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygdb-5.3.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-08 08:55
  111k 2013/03/08 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygdb_cxx-5.3.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygdb_cxx-5.3.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-08 08:56
  472k 2013/03/08 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygdb_sql-5.3.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygdb_sql-5.3.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-08 08:58
  147k 2013/07/31 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygexpat-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygexpat-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-07-31 23:53
   53k 2013/05/06 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygformw-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygformw-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-06 09:10
   67k 2014/01/29 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyggcc_s-seh-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyggcc_s-seh-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-01-29 01:47
   29k 2013/03/11 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyggdbm-4.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyggdbm-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-11 05:00
   12k 2013/03/11 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyggdbm_compat-4.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyggdbm_compat-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-11 05:01
  443k 2013/10/12 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyggmp-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyggmp-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-10-12 12:26
   46k 2014/01/29 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyggomp-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyggomp-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-01-29 01:49
   29k 2013/03/14 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyghistory7.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyghistory7.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-14 11:14
  998k 2013/03/07 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygiconv-2.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygiconv-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-07 04:03
   38k 2013/06/24 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygintl-8.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygintl-8.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-06-24 05:36
  888k 2013/05/05 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygisl-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygisl-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-05 17:36
    6k 2014/02/09 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyglsa64.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyglsa64.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-02-09 21:06
  129k 2013/03/07 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyglzma-5.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyglzma-5.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-07 11:20
  124k 2013/03/19 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cyglzo2-2.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cyglzo2-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-19 05:35
  102k 2013/03/19 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygmagic-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygmagic-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-19 14:27
   28k 2013/05/06 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygmenuw-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygmenuw-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-06 09:10
   85k 2013/05/05 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygmpc-3.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygmpc-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-05 14:46
  319k 2013/05/05 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygmpfr-4.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygmpfr-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-05 14:40
   52k 2013/05/06 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygncurses++w-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygncurses++w-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-06 09:14
  295k 2013/05/06 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygncursesw-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygncursesw-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-06 09:08
  177k 2013/05/14 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygnettle-4.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygnettle-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-14 08:42
  106k 2014/01/24 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygp11-kit-0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygp11-kit-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-01-24 08:13
   13k 2013/05/06 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygpanelw-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygpanelw-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-06 09:09
  289k 2013/08/04 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygpcre-1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygpcre-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-08-05 00:51
 1580k 2013/03/11 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygperl5_14.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygperl5_14.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-12 00:25
   41k 2013/10/21 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygpopt-0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygpopt-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-10-21 22:52
  302k 2014/01/29 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygquadmath-0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygquadmath-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-01-29 02:16
  193k 2013/03/14 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygreadline7.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygreadline7.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-03-14 11:14
  376k 2014/02/05 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygssl-1.0.0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygssl-1.0.0.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-02-05 11:49
   11k 2014/01/29 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygssp-0.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygssp-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-01-29 02:14
  892k 2014/01/29 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygstdc++-6.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygstdc++-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-01-29 01:57
   69k 2013/04/22 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygtasn1-6.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygtasn1-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-04-22 02:25
   51k 2013/05/06 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygticw-10.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygticw-10.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-06 09:08
 1212k 2013/04/21 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygxml2-2.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygxml2-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-04-21 06:57
   79k 2013/05/09 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygz.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygz.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-05-09 23:20
 3108k 2014/03/10 C:\Eget\cygwin64\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=0.0 sys=5.2
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2014-03-10 04:22
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.7.29
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL old termios: 5
        DLL malloc env: 28
        Cygwin conv: 181
        API major: 0
        API minor: 272
        Shared data: 5
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 3
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Installations name: Installations
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date:
        Snapshot date: 20140310-03:20:19
        Shared id: cygwin1S5

Can't find the cygrunsrv utility, skipping services check.

Cygwin Package Information
Last downloaded files to: C:\Eget\cygwin-package
Last downloaded files from: ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/lang/cygwin/

Package              Version         Status
_autorebase          000112-1        OK
_update-info-dir     00262-1         OK
alternatives         1.3.30c-10      OK
base-cygwin          3.3-1           OK
base-files           4.1-1           OK
bash                 4.1.11-2        OK
binutils             2.23.52-5       OK
bsdtar               3.1.2-2         OK
bzip2                1.0.6-2         OK
ca-certificates      1.96-3          OK
coreutils            8.15-3          OK
cygutils             1.4.14-1        OK
cygwin               1.7.28-2        OK
dash                 0.5.7-4         OK
diffutils            3.3-1           OK
editrights           1.02-1          OK
file                 5.13-1          OK
findutils            4.5.11-1        OK
gawk                 4.1.0-1         OK
gcc-core             4.8.2-3         OK
getent               2.18.90-1       OK
grep                 2.16-1          OK
groff                1.22.2-2        OK
gzip                 1.4-1           OK
hostname             3.13-1          OK
ipc-utils            1.0-2           OK
less                 458-1           OK
libarchive13         3.1.2-2         OK
libargp              20110921-2      OK
libatomic1           4.8.2-3         OK
libattr1             2.4.46-1        OK
libbz2_1             1.0.6-2         OK
libcloog-isl4        0.18.0-2        OK
libcrypt0            1.1-1           OK
libdb5.3             5.3.21-1        OK
libexpat-devel       2.1.0-3         OK
libexpat1            2.1.0-3         OK
Empty package libexpat1-devel
libexpat1-devel      2.1.0-3         OK
libgcc1              4.8.2-3         OK
libgdbm4             1.10-2          OK
libgmp10             5.1.3-1         OK
libgomp1             4.8.2-3         OK
libiconv2            1.14-1          OK
libintl8             0.18.1.1-3      OK
libisl10             0.11.1-2        OK
liblzma5             5.0.4-1         OK
liblzo2_2            2.06-1          OK
libmpc3              1.0.1-2         OK
libmpfr4             3.1.2-1         OK
libncursesw-devel    5.9-4           OK
libncursesw10        5.9-4           OK
libnettle4           2.7-1           OK
libopenssl100        1.0.1f-3        OK
libp11-kit0          0.18.7-2        OK
libpcre1             8.33-1          OK
libpopt0             1.16-1          OK
libquadmath0         4.8.2-3         OK
libreadline-devel    6.2-1           OK
libreadline7         6.2-1           OK
libssp0              4.8.2-3         OK
libstdc++6           4.8.2-3         OK
libtasn1_6           3.3-1           OK
libxml2              2.9.1-1         OK
login                1.10-10         OK
lynx                 2.8.7-2         OK
make                 4.0-2           OK
man                  1.6g-2          OK
mintty               1.2-beta1-1     OK
ncurses              5.9-4           OK
p11-kit              0.18.7-2        OK
p11-kit-trust        0.18.7-2        OK
perl                 5.14.4-1        OK
popt                 1.16-1          OK
procps               3.2.8-2         OK
rebase               4.4.1-1         OK
run                  1.3.0-1         OK
sed                  4.2.2-3         OK
tar                  1.26-1          OK
terminfo             5.9-4           OK
texinfo              5.2-1           OK
time                 1.7-3           OK
tzcode               2013c-1         OK
unzip                6.0-1           OK
vim                  7.4.182-1       OK
vim-common           7.4.182-1       OK
vim-minimal          7.4.182-1       OK
w32api-headers       3.1.0-1         OK
w32api-runtime       3.1.0-1         OK
which                2.20-2          OK
xxd                  7.4.182-1       OK
xz                   5.0.4-1         OK
zlib0                1.2.8-1         OK
Use -h to see help about each section

* Latest snapshot has fixes
@ 2014-03-11  0:11       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-03-11  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 05:33:38PM +0100, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>There is a new snapshot available which should fix the problem with
>>screen status bar.
>>
>>There are still issues with the console buffer and full screen apps
>>like vim/emacs/less.  If you scroll the buffer while in that mode
>>then things will get weird.  The solution so far is:  Don't do that.
>>
>>I'd appreciate it if people would try the current snapshot, paying
>>attention to console screen issues.
>
>I discovered your mail server doesn't allow *.png. Anyway:
>
>Console is 55 lines, buffer 300 lines and the buffer is filled. ^L
>in bash works as it should, but I get an artifact after less.

This should be fixed in the latest snapshot.

The XP breakage should also be gone.

cgf

* Re: Latest snapshot has fixes
@ 2014-03-11  2:06         ` Bengt Larsson
From: Bengt Larsson @ 2014-03-11  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 05:33:38PM +0100, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>>There is a new snapshot available which should fix the problem with
>>>screen status bar.
>>>
>>>There are still issues with the console buffer and full screen apps
>>>like vim/emacs/less.  If you scroll the buffer while in that mode
>>>then things will get weird.  The solution so far is:  Don't do that.
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate it if people would try the current snapshot, paying
>>>attention to console screen issues.
>>
>>I discovered your mail server doesn't allow *.png. Anyway:
>>
>>Console is 55 lines, buffer 300 lines and the buffer is filled. ^L
>>in bash works as it should, but I get an artifact after less.
>
>This should be fixed in the latest snapshot.
>
>The XP breakage should also be gone.

Yup. This one
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Laptop2 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 19:41:29 x86_64 Cygwin
does not have the problem.

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-11 21:25             ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-03-11 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/03/2014 11:11, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 10 07:46, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>

>>> Interesting problem.  Windows always surprises.
>>>
>>> This should be fixed in the upcoming snapshot.
>>>
>>> cgf
>>>

>> $ uname -svr
>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 03:20:19
>>
>> xwin still segfaults as for
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-03/msg00107.html
>
> I just tried the latest 32 bit snapshot:
>
>    CYGWIN_NT-6.3-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 03:20:19
>
> and I can't reproduce this crash running startxwin.  I removed my
> /etc/nsswitch.conf file to use the default settings throughout for the
> passwd/group stuff for testing, but it also works fine with
>
>    passwd: db
>    group: db
>    db_enum: all
>
> What are you settings?  I also ran the same under a 64 bit Cygwin
> built from CVS.  No crash either.
>

> Corinna

Hi Corinna,

I think it is due to the unusual history of my cygwin installation, that
is triggering a corner case.

The system is installed on a USB disk and it migrated from
one computer to another, so some of old ACLs are not recognized from
one new system.

On AD aware snapshots:
$ uname -svr
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 03:20:19

$ ls -l nco-4.*.gz
ls: cannot access nco-4.3.9.tar.gz: Bad address
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco          root 5846624 Jan 29  2013 nco-4.2.5.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 Administrators None 4479960 Jan 30 00:07 nco-4.4.1.tar.gz

while on 1.7.29 branch snapshot
  $ uname -svr
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140309 23:12:54

$ ls -l nco-4.*.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco          Administrators 5846624 Jan 29  2013
nco-4.2.5.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco          ????????       4418931 Dec  6 22:14
nco-4.3.9.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 Administrators None           4479960 Jan 30 00:07
nco-4.4.1.tar.gz

I am using the same /etc/passwd and /etc/group
and there is no /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

Using a old version of
SetACL by Helge Klein
Homepage:        http://setacl.sourceforge.net
Version:         2.0.3.0

I catched the ACL for two of the files:

"\\?\E:\cygwin\pub\devel\nco\nco-4.3.9.tar.gz",1,"O:S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009G:S-1-5-21-1870173206-1308263284-2375963468-513D:P(A;;0x1f019f;;;S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009)(A;;FR;;;S-1-5-21-1870173206-1308263284-2375963468-513)(A;;FR;;;WD)"

SetACL finished successfully.
"\\?\E:\cygwin\pub\devel\nco\nco-4.2.5.tar.gz",1,"O:S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009G:BAD:P(A;;0x1f019f;;;S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009)(A;;FR;;;BA)(A;;FR;;;WD)"

and looking on

new system /etc/group:
None:S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-513:513:

old system /etc/group:
None:S-1-5-21-1870173206-1308263284-2375963468-513:513:

the "bad address" error is coming from the the file with the
old ACL for "None" group.

I suspect the Xwin crash was due to some files under /tmp or /var that
had similar files, as making extensive use of
    chgrp.exe -R Administrators *

I have not anymore the segfault.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-12  9:36               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-03-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Marco,

On Mar 11 21:55, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 10/03/2014 11:11, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >built from CVS.  No crash either.
> >

> >Corinna
>
> Hi Corinna,
>
> I think it is due to the unusual history of my cygwin installation,
> that is triggering a corner case.
>
> The system is installed on a USB disk and it migrated from
> one computer to another, so some of old ACLs are not recognized from
> one new system.
>
> On AD aware snapshots:
> $ uname -svr
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.29s(0.272/5/3) 20140310 03:20:19
>

> $ ls -l nco-4.*.gz
> ls: cannot access nco-4.3.9.tar.gz: Bad address
> -rw-r--r-- 1 marco          root 5846624 Jan 29  2013 nco-4.2.5.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 Administrators None 4479960 Jan 30 00:07 nco-4.4.1.tar.gz
> [...]
> I am using the same /etc/passwd and /etc/group
> and there is no /etc/nsswitch.conf file.
>

> Using a old version of
> SetACL by Helge Klein
> Homepage:        http://setacl.sourceforge.net
> Version:         2.0.3.0
>
> I catched the ACL for two of the files:
>
> "\\?\E:\cygwin\pub\devel\nco\nco-4.3.9.tar.gz",1,"O:S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009G:S-1-5-21-1870173206-1308263284-2375963468-513D:P(A;;0x1f019f;;;S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009)(A;;FR;;;S-1-5-21-1870173206-1308263284-2375963468-513)(A;;FR;;;WD)"
>
> SetACL finished successfully.
> "\\?\E:\cygwin\pub\devel\nco\nco-4.2.5.tar.gz",1,"O:S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009G:BAD:P(A;;0x1f019f;;;S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-1009)(A;;FR;;;BA)(A;;FR;;;WD)"
>
> and looking on
>
> new system /etc/group:
> None:S-1-5-21-531030479-1339336681-3415091201-513:513:
>
> old system /etc/group:
> None:S-1-5-21-1870173206-1308263284-2375963468-513:513:
>
> the "bad address" error is coming from the the file with the
> old ACL for "None" group.
>
> I suspect the Xwin crash was due to some files under /tmp or /var that
> had similar files, as making extensive use of
>    chgrp.exe -R Administrators *
>
> I have not anymore the segfault.

thanks for tracking this down.  Still, it shouldn't result in a
"Bad address" error, only in a GID value -1.  Pity that you fixed
it, otherwise your machine would be a wonderful guinea pig  :}

Thanks,

@ 2014-03-12  9:43                 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-03-12  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/03/2014 10:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> thanks for tracking this down.  Still, it shouldn't result in a
> "Bad address" error, only in a GID value -1.  Pity that you fixed
> it, otherwise your machine would be a wonderful guinea pig  :}
>

> Thanks,
> Corinna

That "Bad address" file is still available ;-)
And the USB disk is full of similar files

I just noticed that the 64bit is also available

$ cd /cygdrive/e/cygwin64/var/log
$ ls -l
ls: cannot access xwin: Bad address
total 864
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco root      0 May 18  2013 cygserver.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco root      0 May 18  2013 cygserver64.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco root 722781 Mar  9 12:15 setup.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco root 159288 Mar  9 12:15 setup.log.full
d????????? ? ?     ?         ?            ? xwin

what test do you need ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-12 12:09                   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-03-12 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 12 10:35, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 12/03/2014 10:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>

> >thanks for tracking this down.  Still, it shouldn't result in a
> >"Bad address" error, only in a GID value -1.  Pity that you fixed
> >it, otherwise your machine would be a wonderful guinea pig  :}
> >

> >Thanks,
> >Corinna
> >

> That "Bad address" file is still available ;-)

Cool.

> And the USB disk is full of similar files
>
> I just noticed that the 64bit is also available
>
> $ cd /cygdrive/e/cygwin64/var/log
> $ ls -l
> ls: cannot access xwin: Bad address
> total 864
> -rw-r--r-- 1 marco root      0 May 18  2013 cygserver.log
> -rw-r--r-- 1 marco root      0 May 18  2013 cygserver64.log
> -rw-r--r-- 1 marco root 722781 Mar  9 12:15 setup.log
> -rw-r--r-- 1 marco root 159288 Mar  9 12:15 setup.log.full
> d????????? ? ?     ?         ?            ? xwin
>
> what test do you need ?

For a start, can you please strace an ls -l on such a file?

@ 2014-03-12 12:17                     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-03-12 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

http://matzeri.altervista.org/works/cygwin/

> Thanks,
> Corinna

Regards
Marco

* Re: Need general snapshot testers/console buffer jumble
@ 2014-03-12 20:20                       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-03-12 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin