* BUG: cygwin warning: barfs on domain-based-mboxes; env corrupted by login(-p disabled)
@ 2014-10-28  6:09 Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2014-10-28  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cygwin warning:
  MS-DOS style path detected: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
warning.
  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
law.Bliss>
who
Bliss\law pty0         2014-10-27 22:39 (Athenae)
law.Bliss> id
uid=5013(Bliss\law) gid=201(lawgroup)
groups=201(lawgroup),544(Administrators),545(Users),\
512(Bliss\Domain Admins),513(Bliss\Domain Users)
----
Upon starting a new cygwin console session -- the first time after
boot, I get the above and I can't shut it off because 'login'
clears all of the Windows environment (including USERPROFILE)
when I use rlogin to login to my local host).

I don't know if rlogin also clears the environment, but login
pretty clearly does which causes all sorts problems trying to
run many (any?) windows based programs.

Note, the above mbox check in (all caps)
/USR/SPOOL/MAIL/BLISS\LAW

happens long before bash has opened it's first "rc" file, so
nothing in bash can be set to disable this problem before
it comes out (does Mbox processing before any rc processing).

At the very least, "login -p" should be fixed to work  (whereas
now it has been explicitly patch to NOT WORK (man login:...)

    -p     Used by getty(8) to tell login not to destroy  the  environment.
              This is disabled in the Cygwin version.

Can login have the cygwin specific code that disables "-p"
removed?  Is there a reason why it is _needed_ (I know it
may cause unpredictable results in a multi-user env -- but
that can be documented -- otherwise, there is no
reliable single-user workaround for the above (and a few
other ENV-wiped-based problems).

* Re: BUG: cygwin warning: barfs on domain-based-mboxes; env corrupted by login(-p disabled)
@ 2014-10-28 11:03 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-10-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 27 23:09, Linda Walsh wrote:
> cygwin warning:
>  MS-DOS style path detected: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
> warning.
>  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

The next Cygwin release will have CYGWIN=dosfilewarning set to OFF
by default.

If anybody thinks it's really worth to keep this option available
and ON by default, please speak up.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: BUG: cygwin warning: barfs on domain-based-mboxes; env corrupted by login(-p disabled)
@ 2014-10-28 13:23   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2014-10-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Oct 27 23:09, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> cygwin warning:
>>  MS-DOS style path detected: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>>  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>> warning.
>>  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
> The next Cygwin release will have CYGWIN=dosfilewarning set to OFF
> by default.
>
> If anybody thinks it's really worth to keep this option available
> and ON by default, please speak up.

As long as it isn't removed completely I don't care what the default is.

cyg Simple

* Re: BUG: cygwin warning: barfs on domain-based-mboxes; env corrupted by login(-p disabled)
@ 2014-10-29  1:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-10-29  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> On Oct 27 23:09, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> cygwin warning:
>>  MS-DOS style path detected: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>>  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>> warning.
>>  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

> The next Cygwin release will have CYGWIN=dosfilewarning set to OFF
> by default.

> If anybody thinks it's really worth to keep this option available
> and ON by default, please speak up.

I don't think it's worth the hassle. What little of the programs that is
unable to deal with native paths are printing obvious enough error messages to
convince the user that they should change their habits.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: BUG: cygwin warning: barfs on domain-based-mboxes; env corrupted by login(-p disabled)
@ 2014-10-30  0:12     ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2014-10-30  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
>> The next Cygwin release will have CYGWIN=dosfilewarning set to OFF
>> by default.
>
>> If anybody thinks it's really worth to keep this option available
>> and ON by default, please speak up.
>
> I don't think it's worth the hassle. What little of the programs that is
> unable to deal with native paths are printing obvious enough error messages to
> convince the user that they should change their habits.
---
Not that I disagree with Corinna's decision, but Andrey's followup
doesn't necessarily apply (nor is it important in my case).

Bash is testing for the existence of a user's "mbox", in the spool
directory -- it prints no error if it is not found -- I don't know
that it is important that it should as one can [re]set the system mbox
path if they want, in the startup scripts.  Just that this mbox
check uses some internally compiled name that is checked before
any user scripts are run.

Still doesn't fix the problem of the ENV being zeroed in 'login'
which triggered this problem in the first place.

* Re: BUG: cygwin warning: barfs on domain-based-mboxes; env corrupted by login(-p disabled)
@ 2014-12-02 16:01 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-12-02 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 27 23:09, Linda Walsh wrote:
> At the very least, "login -p" should be fixed to work  (whereas
> now it has been explicitly patch to NOT WORK (man login:...)
>
>    -p     Used by getty(8) to tell login not to destroy  the  environment.
>              This is disabled in the Cygwin version.
>
> Can login have the cygwin specific code that disables "-p"
> removed?

You can always compile it yourself, of course.  For the official
version we're not going to reintroduce this.

However, the latest Cygwin snapshot from https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
contains a patch which merges the user's default Windows environment
(more precise, the variables from the user's default Windows environment
missing in the current environment)  as soon as the user is switched.

Please give it a try.

Thanks,

@ 2014-12-08 10:52   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-12-08 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)