From: carbonfiber123irc carbonfiber123irc <carbonfiber123irc@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Unexpected permissions for home dir install
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 20:42:25 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello

I have experienced the following unexpected default
behavior when installing cygwin inside my home directory.

Using the --no-admin option and choosing "just me" in the setup.

As user1 when installing cygwin to:
"C:\Users\user1\Downloads\cygwin_test1\"

Then all the directories and files have the read and execute
permissions for the "Everyone" SID.

This means a user2 on the same system can read files inside
"C:\Users\user1\Downloads\cygwin_test1\home\user1\"

It also means that user2 can use stuff in the cygwin install
such as bash, even though I did not intend for that to be available
to user2.

The above applies both to the newest cygwin setup from the cygwin
website as of this writing, and also to the 2.921 setup.

I have worked around the issue myself by setting the permissions
manually after the install. So I am just writing this to inform
you that I found the behavior unexpected, and then you can determine
if you consider it a bug or not.

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: carbonfiber123irc carbonfiber123irc <carbonfiber123irc@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 20:42:25 +0200	[thread overview]