From: Paul Moore <p.f.moore@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: CYGWIN env variable - glob option
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 16:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the documentation of the "glob"
option in the CYGWIN environment variable. I have (this is under
Powershell Core 7.0.0-rc2):

$env:CYGWIN="glob:ignorecase winsymlinks:native"

if I then try to grep in a file that exists, using wildcards to
specify it, I get

> C:\Utils\Cygwin64\bin\grep.exe . C:\Work\Scratch\mkpip*.ps1
/usr/bin/grep: C:\Work\Scratch\mkpip*.ps1: No such file or directory

Using echo as a (presumably) simpler test case:

>C:\Utils\Cygwin64\bin\echo.exe C:\Work\Scratch\*.ps1
C:\Work\Scratch\*.ps1

>C:\Utils\Cygwin64\bin\ls.exe -l C:\Work\Scratch\
total 1121
-rwxr-xr-x 1 Gustav Gustav 1144832 Feb 17 15:15 DigraphMgr.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 Gustav Gustav     172 Jan 23 10:37 mkpipclone.ps1

I thought that the glob option resulted in glob expansion being done
before the args are passed to the grep command, so my expectation was
that this would work.

This is with the very latest cygwin DLL - 3.1.4-1. I tried downgrading
to 3.1.2 (the earliest the installer offered) but that was no
different. The odd thing is that I thought I'd tested this on anther
machine, but now I can't get it to work as I expect :-(

Am I doing something wrong? Or are my expectations incorrect? I need
to work with "native" backslash-delimited path names, because that's
how my shell autocompletes directory names, and patching them up with
forward slashes isn't really an option for me.

Paul