From: Lee <ler762@gmail.com>
To: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: setup -g ???
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 18:23:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 3/18/18, David Allsopp   wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>> On 3/14/18, David Allsopp wrote:
>> > [reformatted for top-posting]

>> > I believe so (or at least hope so).
>>
>> So if I run setup and it says there are no pending updates it might be
>> lying to me?
>>
>> I need to run setup -g and only then if there are no pending updates do
>> I know that my cygwin installation is up to date?
>
> No - the original question here was about running setup with a command line
> and the --packages argument. If you run setup interactively (with no
> arguments), you should be told if any packages need upgrading, just as
> before, without needing -g.

When I saw the msg about
> Perhaps you need to provide the -g (--upgrade-also) flag
I tried running setup & got a short list of updates.  Applied the
updates and ran setup again.. and had no pending updates listed as
expected.  Then I ran setup -g and a few libXXX things were listed as
pending :(

Maybe I got lucky & the lib<whatevers> showed up at the mirror I was
using just after running setup the second time??  dunno, but
unless/until I can duplicate setup not showing any pending updates &
setup -g saying there are pending updates, maybe we should just write
it off as a one time occurrence.

Thanks,
Lee