From: Lee <ler762@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Cc: KARL BOTTS <kdbotts@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 21:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2/20/20, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, KARL BOTTS!
>
>> I am worried.  I need to instruct an IT department to install Cygwin.  I
>> am
>> afraid that if I just tell them to run the installer, they will get an
>> unstable version.  I am afraid other new users will be in the same boat.
>
> Cygwin is a rolling release distribution. Whatever is in main installation
> set is considered stable.

I suspect that "unstable" in this context means "likely to have
noticeable problems".

For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've noticed with 3.1.4 was
ansi control character handling and that was fixed by importing this
bit into the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
"VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001

On the plus side, it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER so you don't need admin privs
to import it; on the minus side, it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER so you'll have
to do it for every user on the machine that'll be using cygwin.

Regards,
Lee