On one machine I have cygwin version 3.1.7(0.340/5/3), I can copy cygwin binaries and the corresponding dlls to a folder and then run the cygwin programs without any problems. But on another machine I have a newer cygwin, 3.4.7-1.x86_64, and when I do the same thing, the programs do not work: e.g. mkdir /tmp/test cd /tmp/test $ ls -1 bash.exe chroot.exe cygiconv-2.dll cygintl-8.dll cygncursesw-10.dll cygreadline7.dll cygwin1.dll I copied all of bash's required dlls to /tmp/test When I do a ./bash, it exits immediately on 3.4.7, but on 3.1.7 it works correctly. Has something changed in cygwin that prevents this from working?