* Is it possible to vnc into a linux guest?
@ 2020-09-23 18:07 Jim McNamara
From: Jim McNamara @ 2020-09-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all-

I tried to use tigervnc to connect to a linux virtualbox guest from cygwin.

I am not sure it is possible after many attempts.

I did have ssh working and x forwarding of smallish APPS.

Thanks for any insight.

Roboloki

* Re: Is it possible to vnc into a linux guest?
@ 2020-09-23 21:12 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2020-09-23 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/23/2020 1:07 PM, Jim McNamara via Cygwin wrote:

> I tried to use tigervnc to connect to a linux virtualbox guest from cygwin.

Those 3 things are independent, i.e. there's no VNC in Cygwin (OK there
is, but you don't need it... and installing an X server just for that is
overkill), and there's no VNC in a Linux virtualbox unless it is running
the VNC server.

> I am not sure it is possible after many attempts.

Of course its possible.  You are just going at it the wrong way.

> I did have ssh working and x forwarding of smallish APPS.

Irrelevant.  You don't need any of those.

Just follow the VNC guide, its simple, you need a client (tigerVNC --
there's a version for Windows) and a server, then you need to know which
IP address and port to use, maybe open those ports on firewalls.
--
R.Berber

* Re: Is it possible to vnc into a linux guest?
@ 2020-09-23 22:08   ` Jim McNamara
From: Jim McNamara @ 2020-09-23 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020, 5:12 PM René Berber via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On 9/23/2020 1:07 PM, Jim McNamara via Cygwin wrote:
>
> > I tried to use tigervnc to connect to a linux virtualbox guest from
> cygwin.
>
> Those 3 things are independent, i.e. there's no VNC in Cygwin (OK there
> is, but you don't need it... and installing an X server just for that is
> overkill), and there's no VNC in a Linux virtualbox unless it is running
> the VNC server.

     I didn't know all this cool info.

     It (the guest) is running the vnc server

> I am not sure it is possible after many attempts.
>
> Of course its possible.  You are just going at it the wrong way.
>
> > I did have ssh working and x forwarding of smallish APPS.
>
> Irrelevant.  You don't need any of those.

> Just follow the VNC guide, its simple, you need a client (tigerVNC --
> there's a version for Windows) and a server, then you need to know which
> IP address and port to use, maybe open those ports on firewalls.
>

> R. Berber

       Thanks R.
        Jim.  :-)