From: Jim McNamara <nefariousscheme@gmail.com>
To: Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Fwd: Unable to extract GMP version information from gmp_version :mingw
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 05:05:45 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi Brian and Achim,

I built gnucobol with cygwin and mingw.  I may not need cross compiling. I
read that the permissions are easier to deal with in mingw so I got out the
mingw tools.

I thought that I'd try out deploying a program under mingw with cygwin
outside cygwin without the permission issues i ran into with posix/windows.

Thanks,
Roboloki

From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
Date: Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 4:01 AM
:mingw
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>

Jim McNamara via Cygwin writes:
> I am experimenting with mingW64 with cygwin.

Have you ever used a cross-compilation toolchain before?

> My ./configure looks like this:
> $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATHC:/cygwin/lib

Not sure what you are trying to achieve there, but even if it was
working it would be wrong.

> $ ./configure --prefix=/home/user/cobol-3.1-rc1 --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32

Is your configure script set up to actually work with cross-compilation?
Your output doesn't seem to contain any notion of the configury checking
the cross toolchain.

> I installed the gmp package for mingw64.

Correct.

> I went in and installed libgmp mingW64 package and the headers for in
> devel section of the cygwin installer.

Whatever devel package you found there is most likely for Cygwin, but
it's hard to know without the package name.  The mingw64-* packages are
all standalone devel packages, only the Cygwin packages are split into
runtime and devel.

> I have the file libgmp.dll.a in c:/cygwin/lib

That's not the link library for MingW, but for Cygwin.

> Please let me know if there is anything i can do to get past this error.

Maybe you look at some of the cross-compiled stuff in Cygwin and take it
from there?

Regards,
Achim.