* Stop with the automatic updates
@ 2012-08-17  9:36 Gary
From: Gary @ 2012-08-17  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Every time I use it I have to remember to deselect all the packages it
marks for "upgrade". Why? Why is it so bad to want to use Subversion
release 1.6, for example? Especially since 1.7 does not work with
working copies created under 1.6. Why should we expose ourselves to new
bugs in newer releases when we're quite happy to live with previous
versions?

I feel like I'm in Windows Update hell with the Cygwin Setup the way it
is.

--
Gary        Please do NOT send me 'courtesy' replies off-list.

* Re: Stop with the automatic updates
@ 2012-08-17 11:55 ` Herbert Stocker
From: Herbert Stocker @ 2012-08-17 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17.08.2012 09:17, Gary wrote:
> Every time I use it I have to remember to deselect all the packages it
> marks for "upgrade". Why? Why is it so bad to want to use Subversion
> release 1.6, for example? Especially since 1.7 does not work with
> working copies created under 1.6. Why should we expose ourselves to new
> bugs in newer releases when we're quite happy to live with previous
> versions?
>
> I feel like I'm in Windows Update hell with the Cygwin Setup the way it
> is.
i have a similar desire:
At least a possibility to deselect them with only a few clicks would be
desired. Sometimes
i want to install only one package without waiting for the whole list of
pending stuff to
download and run.

Or am i misunderstanding the radio buttons for keep, cur and exp?

/Herbert
/

* Re: Stop with the automatic updates
@ 2012-08-17 13:26   ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2012-08-17 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17/08/2012 14:46, Herbert Stocker wrote:

> On 17.08.2012 09:17, Gary wrote:
>> Every time I use it I have to remember to deselect all the packages it
>> marks for "upgrade". Why? Why is it so bad to want to use Subversion
>> release 1.6, for example? Especially since 1.7 does not work with
>> working copies created under 1.6. Why should we expose ourselves to new
>> bugs in newer releases when we're quite happy to live with previous
>> versions?
>>
>> I feel like I'm in Windows Update hell with the Cygwin Setup the way it
>> is.
> i have a similar desire:
> At least a possibility to deselect them with only a few clicks would
> be desired. Sometimes
> i want to install only one package without waiting for the whole list
> of pending stuff to
> download and run.
>
> Or am i misunderstanding the radio buttons for keep, cur and exp?

From Cygwin UG: "All packages can be set to stay at the installed
version by pressing the Keep button in the top right part of the chooser
window.".

Why don't you use that radio?

--
Filipp Gunbin

* Re: Stop with the automatic updates
@ 2012-08-19  9:17     ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2012-08-19  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> On 17/08/2012 14:46, Herbert Stocker wrote:
>> Or am i misunderstanding the radio buttons for keep, cur and exp?
> From Cygwin UG: "All packages can be set to stay at the installed
> version by pressing the Keep button in the top right part of the chooser
> window.".
> Why don't you use that radio?
----
	Cuz then you can't see what updates are available.  If you
select 'keep', the "New" version becomes 'keep', instead of whatever
is available.

Perhaps missing a separation of what is available (available)
from action.  Notice there is no action column -- there is only
a column what the new state will be after the program is run --
which is a bit odd to be the only display for an installer that
is run that's used to update a current system.

Either another column -- or colors like maybe the Current column would
be 'blue' if there is an Experimental version available (and you have
current), and 'yellow' if your version is older or more stale than
the current version...?

It comes up for request often -- but other issues usually have priority
than an installer that 'works' (though it might be inconvenient)...

* Re: Stop with the automatic updates
@ 2012-08-19 13:06       ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2012-08-19 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Linda Walsh  wrote:
> Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>>
>> On 17/08/2012 14:46, Herbert Stocker wrote:
>>>
>>> Or am i misunderstanding the radio buttons for keep, cur and exp?
>>
>> From Cygwin UG: "All packages can be set to stay at the installed
>> version by pressing the Keep button in the top right part of the chooser
>> window.".
>> Why don't you use that radio?
>
> ----
>         Cuz then you can't see what updates are available.  If you
> select 'keep', the "New" version becomes 'keep', instead of whatever
> is available.

You could first look at what updates are available (I routinely switch
to "Pending" first when running setup.exe) and then select "Keep"

Csaba