Ken, Sorry for my late reply. Your hint to read the Emacs source code was incredibly helpful. This line: https://github.com/jwiegley/emacs-release/blob/master/src/w32notify.c#L255 calls ReadDirectoryChangesW(). Reading the Win32 API docs very closely, I discovered that I can pass a large(r) buffer to this function. This can greatly reduce the chance of lost events. (Oddly, in *all* code samples that I found, all of them used relatively small buffers. Even the Emacs code uses a tiny 16kb buffer.) I wrote a test driver for ReadDirectoryChangesW() to better understand the API. I did some analysis to map the Linux API to Win32 capabilities. As expected, there isn't a perfect 1:1 match, but there is significant overlap -- enough (IMHO) to make inotify useful on Cygwin. I also started reading the Cygwin source code. It seems possible to impl inotify functionality by creating a new subclass of fhandler_base, e.g., fhandler_inotify. I will reply to this thread when/if I have questions in the future. Thanks, Arpe On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 4:59 AM Ken Brown wrote: > On 10/6/2022 12:29 PM, Kevin Connor Arpe wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Sorry, I am a GMail user, so I am unable to reply to the original email > > from Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com on Thu May 3 14:03:00 GMT 2018: > > https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2018-May/237069.html > > > > Eric wrote: < > friends implemented > > on top of the Windows native API are certainly welcome.>> > > > > First, please correct me if Linux-style inotify is already supported in > > Cygwin. As I understand, it is not. > > That's correct. > > [...] > > > I would appreciate it if people could share their thoughts and advice. > > I don't know if this will help, but Emacs has a filenotify feature which, > on > Linux, is based on inotify. In the native Windows build of Emacs, > filenotify is > implemented in the file src/w32notify.c in the Emacs source tree. Looking > at > how this is done might give you some ideas. > > > The Linux inotify API is an excellent feature. I have used it a few > times > > with great success. It would be nice to have this feature on Cygwin. > > Agreed. Good luck. > > Ken > > -- > Problem reports: https://cygwin.com/problems.html > FAQ: https://cygwin.com/faq/ > Documentation: https://cygwin.com/docs.html > Unsubscribe info: https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple >