* Updated Cygwin yesterday, makewhatis is not present on my system
@ 2014-07-01 19:20 Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2014-07-01 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yesterday, I updated my Cygwin install.  I run "makewhatis" after
every Cygwin update, and it's not there.  "whatis" works, curious how
its database is created and where it is stored.

Has "makewhatis" been superseded by something else?  Didn't find any
references in the mailing list.

Keith

* Re: Updated Cygwin yesterday, makewhatis is not present on my system
@ 2014-07-01 19:26 ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-07-01 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Keith Christian wrote:
> Yesterday, I updated my Cygwin install.  I run "makewhatis" after
> every Cygwin update, and it's not there.  "whatis" works, curious how
> its database is created and where it is stored.
>
> Has "makewhatis" been superseded by something else?  Didn't find any
> references in the mailing list.
>
> Keith

man has been replaced by man-db, which does not have a makewhatis.

mandb -q has similar functionality.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Updated Cygwin yesterday, makewhatis is not present on my system
@ 2014-07-01 20:47   ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2014-07-01 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris,

So (I'm talking to you as if you are the maintainer of man-db....(are
you?)) mandb sounds like the man system Debian uses, where (at least a
few years ago) the whatis database is created by invoking "mandb -C."

Testing this - "mandb" alone creates the databases, even though there
is a "-c" argument to"mandb," which I am running at this moment.
"mandb -c" is emitting errors as it runs, "can't open," "bad symlink,"
"whatis parse for xxxxxx failed," etc.

Ok, I think I have figured it out.  Will the now unnecessary files
created by "makewhatis" be purged or overwritten by mandb?

Keith

@ 2014-07-01 22:05     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-07-01 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Christian, cygwin

Greetings, Keith Christian!

> So (I'm talking to you as if you are the maintainer of man-db....(are
> you?)) mandb sounds like the man system Debian uses, where (at least a
> few years ago) the whatis database is created by invoking "mandb -C."

> Testing this - "mandb" alone creates the databases, even though there
> is a "-c" argument to"mandb," which I am running at this moment.
> "mandb -c" is emitting errors as it runs, "can't open," "bad symlink,"
> "whatis parse for xxxxxx failed," etc.

Check list archive about end of a previous month. People met something akin to
your error, I recall. And narrowed a kind of solution.

> Ok, I think I have figured it out.  Will the now unnecessary files
> created by "makewhatis" be purged or overwritten by mandb?

Neither. man-db just don't know, neither care about them.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Updated Cygwin yesterday, makewhatis is not present on my system
@ 2014-07-02 12:04     ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-07-02 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Keith Christian wrote:
> Chris,
>
> So (I'm talking to you as if you are the maintainer of man-db....(are
> you?)) mandb sounds like the man system Debian uses, where (at least a
> few years ago) the whatis database is created by invoking "mandb -C."
>
> Testing this - "mandb" alone creates the databases, even though there
> is a "-c" argument to"mandb," which I am running at this moment.
> "mandb -c" is emitting errors as it runs, "can't open," "bad symlink,"
> "whatis parse for xxxxxx failed," etc.
>
> Ok, I think I have figured it out.  Will the now unnecessary files
> created by "makewhatis" be purged or overwritten by mandb?
>
> Keith

Yes, I'm the maintainer.

mandb -c creates the database, and will generate warnings. You likely
already had a database created though, as that's handled when you
install mandb.

mandb without any arguments updates the database, and mandb -q updates
it quietly.

Oh, that's a good question about the unnecessary files. I should add
that cleanup to the install scripts, since it obsoletes man.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Updated Cygwin yesterday, makewhatis is not present on my system
@ 2014-07-02 12:50       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-07-02 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris J. Breisch, cygwin

Greetings, Chris J. Breisch!

>> Ok, I think I have figured it out.  Will the now unnecessary files
>> created by "makewhatis" be purged or overwritten by mandb?

> Oh, that's a good question about the unnecessary files. I should add
> that cleanup to the install scripts, since it obsoletes man.

Actually, I think it should be added to man obsoleting package, rather than to
an install script of some unrelated package. Even if that package is, in fact,
supercede the first one.

--

@ 2014-07-02 12:59       ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2014-07-02 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris,

What is the path and filespec of the (now un-needed) files created by
"makewhatis" for curiosity's sake?

Keith

@ 2014-07-02 14:09         ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-07-02 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Andrey,

Wednesday, July 2, 2014, 8:37:11 AM, you wrote:

> Greetings, Chris J. Breisch!

>>> Ok, I think I have figured it out.  Will the now unnecessary files
>>> created by "makewhatis" be purged or overwritten by mandb?

>> Oh, that's a good question about the unnecessary files. I should add
>> that cleanup to the install scripts, since it obsoletes man.

> Actually, I think it should be added to man obsoleting package, rather than to
> an install script of some unrelated package. Even if that package is, in fact,
> supercede the first one.

Yes, I thought about that. The problem is that it won't help upgraders
to  new  versions  of  mandb.  Since  the  obsoleted package will have
already been removed. I'll have to give this some thought.

--
 Chris J. Breisch