From: My Name <mname989@gmail.com>
To: moss@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Re: What's the official state of Python module scipy in Cygwin?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 19:38:51 -0700	[thread overview]

E.M.,

Your recipe has worked for me. I've successfully installed scipy per your
instructions. Thanks for your time and patience. I have wanted to use scipy
in Cygwin for three or four years, but had not asked here until yesterday.
Please don't apologize for abbreviating the package names at first. I
imagine everyone else reading knew exactly which packages you meant; but
despite relying on Cygwin for some basic things, my Cygwin expertise is
just novice. I work on my own development projects full-time, but haven't
been at a university or worked in a development team for thirty years;
haven't used gcc for three years and don't remember its details. My Cygwin
Setup which allowed me to install scipy was this:

=========================
setup-x86_64.exe -P
libopenblas,openblas-doc,liblapack-devel,liblapack-doc,gcc-core,gcc-g++,gcc-fortran,libgfortran4,libgfortran5,python27,python37,python37-devel,python37-pip,python37-tkinter,python37-six,python37-wheel,python37-numpy,bzr,emacs-w32,aspell,aspell-en,octave
=========================

I surely did some overkill with the three fortran packages, not knowing
which was meant by "gfortran", but it didn't hurt anything.

> Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything indicating that you have
installed openblas or lapack

Before trying your relatively complex recipe, I tried MA and BI's simpler
recipes. First I tried MA's recipe, so I installed lapack but not
libopenblas. Next I tried BI's recipe, so I installed them both, but still
could not install scipy. Then, while preparing my batch file for your
recipe, I noticed I'd been installing python37 but not python37-devel
previously while trying MA and BI's recipes. That omission was
accidental not deliberate, and for all I know now, their solutions might
have worked if I'd installed python37-devel at the time.

I'm plenty satisfied with python3.7, but good luck with python3.8 / scipy.

Considering the power of scipy and (I'm guessing) its popularity, and
considering that the solution required nothing more than installing the
necessary packages via Cygwin Setup and then pip scipy, I respectfully
propose that the solution be included somewhere in the Cygwin documentation
or FAQ, even without scipy as an official Cygwin package.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me.

Best regards